Females will not get along

Countygrrl

Post   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:44 am

Females will not get along
I recently purchased a female guinea (I now know the error of my ways ) who I was told was "young" as she was not fully grown. It was after got her home that I learned I needed a second piggy and a larger cage. I went right out and got supplies to make a 4x2 c&c and within a week adopted another senior (5yr) guinea from the humane society. My younger pig WILL NOT leave my older girl alone. Even if the older girl is in her pigloo the younger will seek her out and growl/rumblestrut/nip and generally just push her around constantly. She also does this when they are having free range time. They argue and squawk constantly in the cage. Twice i have seen blood in the cage this week. Today after 3 weeks of trying to get them to work it out I gave up and they are now in offset stacked 2x3 cages. They are super quiet now and seem ok. One is even sleeping out in the open (the younger). I'm just curious now as to whether I should get my senior girl a friend as she initially was super excited about seeing my younger girl when they first met. (According to the humane Society she had lived her entire 5 years in a Rubbermaid tote without ever having seen another pig) Even though the younger is mean to her, my senior will still follow her around when they are outside of their cage. My worry is that if I get another piggy and they don't get along I have no room for a third cage. Just looking for some advice.
Thank you.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:22 am

Sounds like you are trying to do the right thing.

Are you 100% absolutely sure of the sex of your young guinea pig? Could you post pictures of this pig's genitals? I worry that it is a male and that is what is contributing to the harassment.

www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html

Countygrrl

Post   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:46 am

I'm definitely questioning now whether Miss honey might actually be Mr.Harry.
If she is actually a he what should I do about my senior? Can she get pregnant at that SHE? What should I look out for??? I'm going to try to get a picture of Honey/Harry if I can catch her

Countygrrl

Post   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:13 pm

Well I have a very offended FEMALE guinea. There was definitely no penis.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:40 pm

You should still post a picture. There are many experienced people here!

WICharlie

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:56 am

It would be better if the cages were side by side. That way they could have all the benefits of having a friend without the fear of a confrontation.

JX4

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:24 pm

Ditto about still posting a picture. My male looked like a female until he was about 6 or 7 months old. He had ambiguous genitalia, a trait he passed on to one of his sons and two of his daughters. So much so that a guinea pig-savvy vet had trouble sexing the babies at 3 weeks. He succeeded in sexing them properly, but they were all three the opposite sex of what we thought they were even after comparing them with their brother and sisters of the same age.

Which is why we had the babies in the first place. We thought the male was a female and even another vet (who was not guinea pig-savvy) did not catch that he was female. We were clueless until his testicle sac dropped and by then the damage was done and the other two females we had were pregnant.

Countygrrl

Post   » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:47 am

I have pictures but I don't know how to add them

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:51 am

If they are crisp, clear photos, you can email them to me.