10 month old boar scared of EVERYTHING

Marvenpimp

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:11 am

My guess is she was talking about a diaphragmatic hernia. If that's the case this is the only post I've found about an actual case. Her X-rays can be found in the thread.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/th ... rnia-(CDH)

I'll ask for the X-rays at the second clinic. They have recieved them via e-mail there and If I'm lucky they might forward them to me. I hope they're all wrong and It's somethig treatable. I don't know If I would go for a surgery that has never been done before.

Marvenpimp

Post   » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:34 am

The ultrasound was inconclusive. We are back to square one. I am so emotionally drained after yesterday. First he was taken for X-rays twice and each time he was returned to me absolutely terrified. During the ultrasound he was placed on his back and screamed out in fear or pain. I will contact the clinic today for the X-rays since they had NOT been sent to the other clinic like I was told they would be.

I can't even tell what the next step will be. Until then I would like to give him some pain relief. I have Metacam at home 1,5mg/1ml, and I have been giving him 0,13 ml once a day. Do you think I could give him more, or maybe twice a day? He is down to 780 g.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:31 am

I am so sorry for the two of you. There is a range for metacam. Giving twice a day can definitely help control pain.

Marvenpimp

Post   » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:22 pm

Saw big improvement today. He is on 0.8 ml of metacam twice a day. Today I heard him speak for the first time in a long time. He was curious and exploring around the cage, butting all the houses and tunnels with his head. I saw him make a half-hearted attempt at popcorning and he willingly ran a lap in the cage.

I'm still waiting for X-rays, I should have them by tomorrow. I would be so happy If you could take a look at them, maybe it could bring some clarity, or at least check something off the list.

Thank you all for staying with us so far!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:06 pm

Sounds to me like he's been in pain and the metacam is taking the edge off. That's progress! Now to figure out what the underlying problem is.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:11 pm

We are not experts but would be happy to take a look at your xrays. I wish I had a medical background and was more knowledgeable.

Marvenpimp

Post   » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:57 am

I have e-mailed you the X-rays! My little baby is doing fine so far, he is eating and drinking and pooping and peeing and playing with his friend. It's almost like this whole ordeal has brought us closer together since he seems so much more comfortable and interactive around me and my boyfriend.

I'm not happy about the looks of the chest cavity. There's not enough air in there, and I can't make out the heart. My vet said it's also harder to see since the initial X-rays were taken with the bones in mind and not the organs. What do you think?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:54 am

Oh, I put them on the wrong thread! I will go copy them here.

Here are the xrays you sent me. In order to display properly, I resized them slightly but hopefully will still be helpful.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:16 am

I don't know enough to comment on his medical issues, but I do hope he at least maintains the improvement, if not continues to improve even more.

Marvenpimp

Post   » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:50 am

Thank you Grannyju1, he is currently doing very well, and continues to do well even without pain medication! :)

Has anyone else been able to take a look? What do you think is going on with the right lung?

I can kind of see why my vet thinks it's a hernia, but according to her it's extremely painful, which is probably why she was so comfortable with suggesting euthanizing (is that a word?) an otherwise healthy pig.