Renal Failure

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:02 pm

We have a 5 1/2 year old male who was just diagnosed with renal failure this week. It appears to be fairly advanced; he had been slowing down for a few weeks, which I chalked up to a couple of different things at the time, but then his lack of appetite and weight loss took a nose dive towards the end of last week and I knew we were dealing with something more serious.

I have Ringers, Metacam, handfeeding formula (2 different types), B supplement, vitamin C; have added additional water bottles and am providing plenty of wet veggies...all of the usual things to try to provide supportive care. Just curious if anyone here is aware of any new treatment info (drugs/supplements, etc.) that might be helpful in dealing with this---at least to slow down the progression somewhat. I'm not really 'up' on latest.

Fuzzies Kingdom actually makes a good kidney support formula that I've had good results with in the past, but this particular guy won't eat it.

Thanks.

Kimera

Post   » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:58 pm

I had a pig with renal failure a few years ago. He lived almost a year after he was diagnosed, but the last weeks were bad, both for him and for me. I wish there were some kind of treatment, but even in humans the only solution is dialysis and kidney transplant, which is unavailable for small animals.
The only thing you may need to add at later stages is iron supplement and erythropoetin, a red cell forming agent, because advanced renal failure is accompanied by anemia.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:03 am

Thanks, Kimera. Our Leonard made it almost a year after he was diagnosed, too, but he loved the supplement I was using, loved Pedialyte, and thought handfeeding was a treat. This little guy is fighting me literally tooth and nail on all fronts. It's going to be difficult to keep him comfortable for whatever little time he has left, I'm afraid. :(

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:05 pm

Is there anything at all I can give him for pain besides Metacam? I'm reluctant to go with an opioid just yet, but I'm concerned about the effects of an NSAID on his kidneys. I'm dosing the Metacam very conservatively...not sure it's helping much.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:38 am

Have you tried Buprenorphine? It's a little easier on the kidneys than the Metacam.

My Peek was diagnosed with kidney failure - same thing? Neither of us could handle my trying to do the IV (I have bad tremors and kept pulling the needle out), so I switched to giving him 30 - 60 cc of pedialyte orally a day. He loves it, and so does Fuzz, whom we have to fight off until Peek gets as much as he wants, then she gets the rest. His weight has stabilized in the high 900s, down from his original of about 1200. Other than that he's much more active since I started the pedialyte, and dances and chitters for his food. Of course, I have to change out the blanket they spend most of their time on every other day, because he soaks it pretty quickly. He insists on climbing on top of his fleece hideys, so they get washed a lot more often than they used to also. It's worth it. He was my very first guinea pig and I will have had him 5 years if he lasts through March.

Good luck with your little one.