Flake is not eating + injured foot

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:26 pm

I'm not a radiologist, but it looks to me as if he does.

Atomicoxy

Post   » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:37 pm

bpatters wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:26 pm I'm not a radiologist, but it looks to me as if he does.
I'm still waiting the vet response, I really hope it's not elongated roots...

About the hooting, I'm not sure if it's what I'm hearing, but it's like his grumble is thicker, and sometimes when he's chewing food a sound like a snore comes out...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:21 pm

Are his eyes watery? If the roots were elongated, it would be the rear molars.

Atomicoxy

Post   » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:33 pm

Lynx wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:21 pm Are his eyes watery? If the roots were elongated, it would be the rear molars.
I'm not sure if it's watery, but it has some crust and when he cleans it he loses some hair.
This is the 'worst' eye.

This is better.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:46 pm

Look from above to see if the eyes appear symmetric or if one or both appear to be protrude more than a normal guinea pig. I believe that sometimes upper elongated roots can push on the eye so it appears to protrude and might contribute to the eyes being more watery. A veterinary dentist would be the best person to evaluate xrays to determine if there was any elongation. Watery eyes can be associated with other illnesses too.

If your vet thinks root elongation could be a possibility, he might want to consult with a veterinary dentist to get a second opinion (your vet could send him or her their xrays). The Academy of Veterinary Dentistry :
http://www.avdonline.org/

Dr. Legendre is well respected on this board.

Atomicoxy

Post   » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:14 pm

Lynx wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:46 pm Look from above to see if the eyes appear symmetric or if one or both appear to be protrude more than a normal guinea pig. I believe that sometimes upper elongated roots can push on the eye so it appears to protrude and might contribute to the eyes being more watery. A veterinary dentist would be the best person to evaluate xrays to determine if there was any elongation. Watery eyes can be associated with other illnesses too.

If your vet thinks root elongation could be a possibility, he might want to consult with a veterinary dentist to get a second opinion (your vet could send him or her their xrays). The Academy of Veterinary Dentistry :
http://www.avdonline.org/

Dr. Legendre is well respected on this board.
It looks like his left eyes is a bit more protrude when he gets that 'scared' eyes, but when he is relax/normal there is no difference.

About sending them Flake's x-ray, I'm not sure if it's possible as I'm from Brazil, is there a cost? Only my vet can send it? Can I do it myself as my vet seems to be busy sometimes...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:13 pm

Only your vet could contact another vet for a second opinion. I actually do not know anything about how this is done (cost). Perhaps Pinta (who has worked with Dr. Legendre for a long time - bringing her guinea pigs to him) might have some idea.

If the eyes are the same size, not bulging, it is less likely the upper molars are elongated.

Atomicoxy

Post   » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:19 am

Well, I'm back, Flake is still having problems with malloclusion, he had to do the teeth planning again, and this week (maybe tomorrow) he will do it for the third time, he can manage to eat on his own but only his pellet mash, vet said as his teeh are growing bent, we could try to extract them, but I'm afraid that removing his incisors (I think it's only the lower ones) will make him stop eating as I can't imagine a guinea pig eating without some incisors.

How his teeth currently looks like, I asked her if his jaw is disjointed, but she said she saw nothing in the x-ray, so it's not.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:43 am

When a guinea pig is put under anesthesia for an xray, the jaw muscles relax (from what I understand) so the xray might not completely rule out a jaw issue. Once the incisors (and molars, if needed) are trimmed (I imagine you will do this as they are growing long enough to cause problems), spend lots of time watching him to see if his mouth hangs open to one side or if there are any irregularities of the jaw. I don't know if they do a "head on" xray, but it could conceivable show the relationship of the teeth to the jaw. It is also possible that a slight inclination is resulting in pushing the teeth over even further so they never meet and naturally grind to the correct length. I imagine you have read each and every page in the teeth section?
www.guinealynx.info/teeth.html

Especially:
www.guinealynx.info/teeth_broken.html

Can you review what you are feeding him? (diet)

You have worked so hard to get this guy on track!!!

Atomicoxy

Post   » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:00 pm

Thanks for your answer, Lynx, the x-ray wasn't under anesthesia, his diet is basically only pellet mash, he was gaining weight on his own, but now that the teeth are too long it's getting difficult, also, what do you think about the incisors extraction?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:23 pm

I would certainly try trimming them first (don't over trim them). I don't know much about extraction but think this is risky because of the fragility of the jaw. Loss of an opposing tooth would mean they could not wear normally.

Atomicoxy

Post   » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:23 pm

The surgery was sucessful, Flake is already eating on his own (only the pellet mash I make him since December) but I'm also hand feeding him to make sure he's getting enough, but I will try to make him eat different and solid things.