Metacam or Ibuprofen

wenton5

Post   » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:02 pm

Doing some research and trying to get a vote on what people use most for their piggies, given mixed reviews on research, like to see a majority, ibuprofen or metacam use for mild inflammation and pain.
Thanks soo much
Lara and Romeo Berthiaume
Aka wenton5 and chooch

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:18 pm

Metacam.

I will move this to Cavy Chat. The Emergency forum is concerns ill individual pigs and their treatment.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:19 pm

Agree. Metacam.

wenton5

Post   » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:24 pm

This is a question regarding long-term use.
Thank you.

wenton5

Post   » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:25 pm

Thank you both.
Lara

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:06 am

I wouldn't use either unless I had to as piggies and medications don't go well. But if I had to use one of the two it would be Meloxicam alias Metacam. Some of my pigs have been on it and it put them off their food, others had no problems. Hoping all goes well discuss I think with Romeo's vet. Big hugs. Kiss Romeo under the Mistletoe for me!

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:31 am

I would not use Ibuprofen, as in Europe, all doctors for humans are warned not to prescribe it for people over 40, says enough to me.

I have had 2 pigs out of 3 that took it over the years who died from Metacam/Meloxicam as soon as they took the fist dosage, so I swear by suing Carprofen instead. You could see instant decline within minutes, no more appetite, refusing to be forecefed, and die within hours. Their gum turns blue, so it caused the outcome of an underlying heart issue, which I warned the vet about upfront, but as there was no indication of proof, it was ignored by the vet.

Carprofen is a tad less powerful pain killer wise, not as an anti-inflammatory. I had several pigs who took it, with much better results. None died. You can see that the pigs are a bit more quiet due to no perfect pain control, but no sickness, and no heart failure, and it lasts a day or 3 only till they seem great again. Out of personal experience with meds that offer pain relief or not in comparison to healing well, I can vouch that having some pain is not as bad as the other option.

wenton5

Post   » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:41 am

Carprofen, I'll need to research that, thank you. I would prefer not to use anything also, but there isn't a choice in this situation.
Thanks soo much.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:43 am

Pigjes experience is not typical of the experiences of members whose guinea pigs have had long term meloxicam use. That said, carprofen can still work but I believe has some of the same warnings that meloxicam has (regarding the liver). You would need to consult with your vet and evaluate your guinea pig.

wenton5

Post   » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:06 pm

So all that said, I'm curious what dosage people are using for long term metacam for a guinea pig at 1020 grams. I've read the charts and we see our exotics vet every 3 weeks, so we are in check.
Thanks soo much for the help.
Lara and Romeo berthiaume

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:54 am

Jan is only 700grams and she is on point 0.7mls once a day on Meloxicam. That doesn't help does it? Sorry! Merry Christmas! Have tried to slowly drop the dose she's now on point 0.6mls once a day and has been on it for over 4 months.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:59 am

How many mg/ml for the meloxicam?