Bleeding

Mln327

Post   » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:31 pm

My guinea pig is laying down motionless with her back legs spread apart but will move her head every once and a while I figured she was going into labor because she had recently gotten fatter but then I noticed blood between her legs but it was only a little is this good or bad?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:41 pm

It depends. It could mean that she's in early stages of labor. But pigs in labor are usually up and moving, so the fact that she's laying down is a little worrisome.

Are you sure she's pregnant? Has she been with a male?

Mln327

Post   » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:43 pm

She has been in a cage with a male

Mln327

Post   » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:48 pm

I just checked on her she is completely motionless (stiff)

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:51 pm

Is she breathing?

Mln327

Post   » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:55 pm

No she’s dead but I still don’t know what caused it all I know is she started bleeding about an hour before she died and she was big and it felt like she had babies and she showed all signs of pregnancy

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:03 pm

I'm sorry you lost her.

She didn't survive the labor. If you'd realized earlier that she was having problems, an emergency spay might have saved her.

The death rate for sows and pups is high, which is just one of the reasons we NEVER recommend that you breed a guinea pig. There are other reasons, including a number of genetic problems that can result in deformities and lifelong pain.

She may have had one large pup that was too big to go through the birth canal. Or, if she was an older pig, her pelvic ligaments may have been to stiff to separate to allow the birth. There's no way to know, unless you want to take her to a vet for a necropsy (that's an autopsy). If you do, refrigerate (don't freeze) her body, and take her in tomorrow.

Please do NOT get another female to go with your male. There are thousands of unwanted guinea pigs in rescues and shelters, and there are enough accidental pregnancies to keep the species going. There's no need to ever deliberately breed another guinea pig.