are these herbs safe for guinea pigs?

Post   » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:32 pm

Are this herb mix safe for guinea pigs?

what about echanacea? Is that safe for them? I don't want to get anything high in calcium or unsafe in other properties. but want something that bolsters immune system and supports healthy liver function.

Thanks so much!

Post   » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:43 pm

This does not belong in the medical forum.

I would skip the herbal mix though it looks interesting.

It would likely have too much calcium of your guinea pig had issues processing calcium (stones).

And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:07 pm

I wouldn't use any of those. If you feed good quality hay and pellets and a variety of fresh veggies, you don't need any supplements. Those are mostly designed to separate you from your money, not to benefit your guinea pig.

Post   » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:47 pm

I have used Fuzzies Kingdom supplement for ill/recovering guinea pigs. It's hard to say if they are effective. FK mixed a so-called "kidney formula" for a former renal pig that we had, and he did enjoy a fairly good quality of life for many months after his diagnosis with a combination of the daily herb formula and Pedialyte. How much was due to either one, or neither, is a matter of conjuncture. I will say, the owner takes a lot of interest in her clients' pigs, and will customize almost any product as needed.

All of that said...I would agree that a supplement shouldn't be needed for healthy pigs on a well-balanced diet.

Post   » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:03 am

I agree, I wouldn't use these but it is very interesting--thank you for sharing it, lilythepig2017.

Post   » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:03 am

thanks guys! I appreciate the input! I had her on them while recovering but I may pull her off. Would it hurt once a week you think? I have the rest of the bag to get through lol

Post   » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:07 pm

This is one of those things that pet stores make you believe your pigs need, but they don't. I would be concerned about the wheat and flaxseed in this. I don't think guinea pigs should be eating those. Or rabbits.

If you don't want it to go to waste, maybe put it out for birds/squirrels??

I'm so glad there are people like you on the forum who want to provide the best diet they can for their guinea pigs.

Post   » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:52 pm

Thanks so much for your reply!

If I kept it, would giving it to her a couple times a week be ok? She did like so much when she had it. Is flax seed very bad for them? Is it too much fat/ protein?

Thanks so much!

And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:13 am

Guinea pigs shouldn't be given seeds at all. They have tiny, tiny throats, and hard seeds and nuts can totally obstruct their throats.

9 posts • Page 1 of 1