Is my rescue pregnant?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:30 pm

You can handle her until she's so large that it would be obviously uncomfortable for her to do so.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:31 pm

Ditto bpatters.

As the fetuses grow, it will be uncomfortable for her to be handled. See if you can work out a safe way to get her to walk into a box with one side dropped (maybe vegs to lure her in?), lifting the side up and carefully lifting up the box if you need to move her from one place to another.

Dumplingsmom

Post   » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:36 pm

Okay! Thanks all! I’m a super paranoid Mom. She is my first piggy and I want to be taking the best possible care of her.

CavyGirl04

Post   » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:32 pm

I don't have experience with pregnant piggies, but what I do to make it easier to pick them up is use a cuddle cup (the one I have is Kaytee and it's great!). I set it in the cage and then lift the pig into it, and then I can carry them in it. I'm pretty sure one of the pigs I'm taking care of has mites, and this seems to be the least painful for him.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:38 pm

That might work well. You just want it really secure with a stable bottom and no possibility of the guinea pig trying to jump out when you pick her up.

Dumplingsmom

Post   » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:44 pm

At this point I have had her for 6 weeks. Would it be obvious by not if she was pregnant? She seems chunky but I’m not sure what’s normal for a piggy.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:25 pm

You should be seeing definite signs by now. Re-read that link I gave you.

Dumplingsmom

Post   » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:16 pm

I did get her another friend and it’s been wonderful! They get along so well! Is something that would happen in pregnancy be that her stomach got firmer over two days. I held her Sunday and it was still squishy. However, when I went to get her out of her cage yesterday her stomach was firmer. She also didn’t want to be touched or picked up which is unlike her. She usually runs to the edge of the cage and wheeks until I pet her, pick her up or bring her a treat.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:18 pm

Be careful about manipulating her abdomen if you suspect a pregnancy. I take it you are not worried about bloat?
emergency.html#bloat

Dumplingsmom

Post   » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:48 pm

I had thought about that but she is still eating and drinking. Her poop is also normal. She is also popcorning around the cage. If I don’t notice improvement by Friday, I will call the vet. I am not manipulating it just feeling as I moved her to clean the cage.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:09 pm

Her stomach could get firmer in two days. It depends on how far along a pregnancy is. Two days won't make a difference in what you feel early in the pregnancy, but certainly can toward the end.