Crossed Teeth

Kels3b

Post   » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:01 am

Hi Everyone! This is my first post and I’m really worried about my baby boy! My male guinea pig who is less than a year old seems to have something grey stuck between his teeth and his teeth look like they’re beginning to cross. The left tooth is slightly behind the right.

I’m going to get him to the vet tomorrow morning or Tuesday morning as soon as we can get there (with the holiday weekend it’s very hard) but I wanted to know if anyone has ever seen this? He seems to be eating just fine, he’s super playful and happy, I honestly wouldn’t have noticed something was wrong if I didn’t see his teeth.

Any insight would be greatly appreciate! Thank you

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:56 am

Guinea pigs can sometimes just have wonky teeth. If they're so badly crossed that they don't get worn down, then they may to be regularly trimmed, but a good vet can teach you to trim the front teeth if needed.

They also sometimes have "peg" teeth, which is a third tooth that grows and forces one or both of the others out of alignment.

Do let us know what the vet says.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:27 am

You are welcome to email me a crisp clear photo of the teeth if you have one:

Ditto bpatters. Look over info and pics here:
teeth.html

Has your guinea pig had a tooth injury?

Kels3b

Post   » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:41 am

Thank you so much for your quick response! I sent you an email! Thank you so much

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:03 pm

I emailed you back that there were no photos attached. Give it another try?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:11 pm

Here you go. Unsure about the pic so: Is there a space between the teeth? Can you see or feel anything? It is a pretty wide space if there is nothing there. Is there a brownish object between them?:

Here is a closer crop:

Kels3b

Post   » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:15 pm

It looks like he somehow got a pellet stick between his teeth, or something small and then things started to collect. Like I said he’s been eating fine, playing like normal. I wouldn’t have even noticed if I didn’t see the bottom of his teeth crossing.

I would try to clean it myself but even getting the photo was a struggle he doesn’t want to let us anywhere close to his teeth

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:17 pm

p.s. if there is a peg tooth between the two incisors, it is relatively large for a peg tooth. That it is brown (if that is what we are seeing) would mean to me there might be an infection in the root. How have the incisors changed over time? Was there always a space there?

If you feel it could be a pellet (I think it unlikely), I encourage you to carefully try to dislodge it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:19 pm

Use the tips page for syringe feeding to try to pin the skull so you can get at the teeth (good pic, by the way).

www.guinealynx.info/tips.html

Kels3b

Post   » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:30 pm

So I tried but he’s struggling quite a bit it seems as though one of the teeth is very loose but has not fallen off. I’m going to wait for my boyfriend to get home and help me

It does appear to be food though stuck between his teeth it certainly hasn’t always been there

Kels3b

Post   » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:44 pm

Okay so the brown thing that was between his teeth has been removed but one of his teeth is now very loose where the others are okay. I’m getting critical care to feed him and he’s going to the vet tomorrow

Any insight would be appreciated, I think somethings was caught between his teeth and caused more food to collect and make them weaker. He’s getting plenty of vitamin C so I know it’s not his diet.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:35 pm

My guess would be that he's probably broken that tooth at the root and that it will fall out. It should grow back pretty quickly.

I doubt that any food collected between the teeth would make them weaker. They usually are only loose in response to injury of some sort (being dropped, biting the cage, etc), or from an underlying abscess. If he's eating ok, he probably doesn't have an abscess.

FYI, you don't need to feed him Critical Care unless he's off his feed for some reason. If he can eat OK, he doesn't need the CC. It's high in calcium, which is ok for sick pigs, but pigs that eating normally don't need it.