Zyrtec's skin problem

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:01 am

Selamectin is just a variation of ivermectin. If ivermectin didn't work, selamectin likely won't either.

Were all the pigs treated three or four times, seven days apart? It takes that many treatments to hit all phases of the mites' life cycle.

annelie

Post   » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:10 pm

Yes, I know that it is a different compound. I was just thinking as it presents similar to mites, and ivermectin does nothing except irritates his skin further, that going different anti parasitic could be a worth a try in the future.

They were both treated 3x 7 days apart during spring and summer. i.e 2x this year. Zyrtec was then treated again this autumn (more days apart) while getting anti fungal treatment and immune stimulating drug.

His skin looks like any normal skinny pig at the moment, but touching or moisturising the area results in loud complaints and is followed by scratching with screams a couple of times during the day. If I don't moisturise he scratches less (if at all some days), but then starts again when skin gets dry 2-3 days later. It doesn't matter what I use to moisturise (I stick to same product minimum 2 weeks).

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:15 pm

Has the vet prescribed a steroid cream? That might reduce the itching.

What strength of ivermectin did you use? And how much of it? We've had one person do repeated, failed treatment with ivermectin because she used an insulin syringe, not realizing that the markings are different. Once she got the right dosage, the mites went away.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:29 pm

Trying the selamectin actually could help if there is an issue with the ivermectin. Personally, I am an ivermectin fan (widely available and reasonable in cost) but in the years I have been reading posts, a couple people have claimed better results with the selamectin.

I don't know if the advice on skinnies' and skin would help, but you might want to read over Pink Rufus advice:
https://www.guinealynx.info/records/view ... p?p=98#p98

annelie

Post   » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:41 am

Hi guys!
I read the Pink Rufus post some time ago and I still find it brilliant. I was at the hotel today and measured just round 30% RH and at my place it is 27% RH. It isn't a significant difference but clearly too dry so I am addressing that to start with.

The boys without doubt got the right dose of ivermectin, rather on the high range for their weight actually (Zyrtec was just over 700g until recently when he increased to almost 800g). We have discussed using a steroid cream if the current treatment with fatty acids and external moisturising wouldn't improve the issue. He IS in better condition than in a long time atm, but the root of the problem (whatever it is) is still there.

He is a small guy, poor immune system, and with chronic left eye problems (we are going to an ophthalmologist on monday) and I suspect that he is suffering from the consequences of reckless breeding.

I'll get the humidity up and let you guys know if there is any improvement :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:15 pm

If you haven't already, quiz the hotel staff to see if they have any ideas of what might be different.

annelie

Post   » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:58 pm

I talked to the vet there (the staff doesn't speak english) and she didn't have any theories especially since she never seen him particularly bad. I am working hard on getting the humidity up. It is surprisingly difficult actually! Im at 35% atm. He hasn't been itchy at all today but it is early to say.

I really hope it was as easy as this! Never thought issue with humidity would give such major complications as I've seen in Zyrtec.
I will update the thread with info on his eye problem as soon as I find something out.

annelie

Post   » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:38 am

I spoke too soon. It is def not the humidity.. He is itchy like hell today. For no apparent reason.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:34 am

Without reading back, have you tried an antifungal shampoo, such as Nizoral?

annelie

Post   » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:25 am

I have tried nizoral and it did nothing except make him very dry.

A general update:
The opthalmologist immediately identified that he has problem with tear production in his left eye, so he is on artificial tear treatment for a month and then followup.

I started to notice a pattern in his skin condition that may or may not be causative. He seems to react to perfumes or room scents/heavily scented candles. I removed all scents from the apartment and I see an improvement after a week. It is very cold and dry here now and getting the humidity up is close to impossible so this has not been the cause for improvement.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:25 am

Have you tried a warm, wet compress on the eye? Gentle massage? Sometimes a blocked tear duct can be opened. The artificial tear treatment should definitely help protect the eye for the time being.

annelie

Post   » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:24 am

Yeah we tried that and one of the first vets suspected something like that as well. But the ophthalmologist is really good so I hope that we can solve this finally