Big belly but that’s it...

marlenes mom

Post   » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:22 pm

We’ve noticed over the past several days that Fran’s belly bulges out on her sides. It feels squishy but it’s big. She is 4yrs and just came to live with us about 4 weeks ago. I think her diet before was mainly cheap pellets, a little hay, veggies every now and again. Needless to say, her diet is dramatically different.

I’ve weighed her daily at first then not for a week in the last week. She has gone from 2lbs 3.3oz to 2lbs 4.7oz since 12/27. She’s been eating normally, lots of hay, green leaf lettuce some pepper, carrots every other day, a cucumber here and there. I see her by the hay constantly (orchard, I’m allergic to Timothy).

Do you think I should be worried? My husband even noticed her big belly, much bigger than Amy’s. We gave her gas drops tonight and I’ve rubbed her belly. She’s acting just fine, but I’m really worried given all we just went through with Marlene.

I think this belongs in medical, not sure how to move it now!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:46 pm

I'm not sure there's anything medical going on. But I sure would be worried about whether she's pregnant.

I've got the most pregnant-looking non-pregnant pig you've ever seen. Her belly bulges, but there's nothing wrong with her. No need for gas drops, no need for worrying about her.

However, an adult pig gaining nearly an ounce in a half in a short period of time is very unusual. Adult pigs usually gain very slowly, and it's quite difficult to get an adult pig to gain an ounce and a half even over a period of months, not just a few days.

You say you've only had her four weeks. Who had her before that? Is there any chance that she was with a male?

marlenes mom

Post   » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:07 pm

She was a neighbor’s pig and was alone after her cage mate died 8 months ago - see the thread here:
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... =8&t=76128

So there’s no way she’s pregnant unless the neighbor totally lied about the situation (I doubt). Could she just be overeating now that she has new, fun foods?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:18 am

Yes, she could be. If her food wasn't very good quality before, she could be gaining from a better diet.

She could also be developing something like ovarian cysts. I wouldn't go rushing off to the vet at the moment, but I would keep an eye on her over the next few weeks. If she does have ovarian cysts, she'll probably exhibit some cranky behavior at some point, or lose some hair along her flanks.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:08 am

I measure weight in grams but my guinea pig Charlotte went from 1039 grams to 1500 grams in the 7 months after I got her. She had no medical issues then, she was just a big eater. She did gain over 100 grams in her first 4 weeks which is about 3.5 ounces. My guess is that she is just enjoying the food you are giving her.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:33 am

There are normal variations throughout the day. If you are concerned about her weight, do weigh daily at the same time of day (relative to feeding her) for as long as you are concerned (and weekly thereafter) to get the big picture.

www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html

marlenes mom

Post   » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:42 am

Thanks guys.

I laid off the lettuce a little this morning, only giving a few leaves to the girls - no other veggies. Piled the hay up. Her belly was still big this morning after sleeping all night, but again, she's active and happy, begging me for more veggies, ha ha. Do you think I should try to give gas drops or activated charcoal to see if her belly goes down?

Lynx - I weighed her for 2 weeks daily and her weight hovered right around 2lbs 3oz (up to 2lbs 3.4oz some days) for the last 5 or so daily reads. She came to us around 2lbs 2 oz, so she gained weight from that already. Then I didn't weigh her for a week till last night when it was 2lbs 4.7 oz, quite a difference!

The bulge was my main worry but I guess if she seems happy, it's okay?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:11 pm

Don't worry about the belly. Don't cut her veggies, don't give her activated charcoal, don't give her gas drops. A big belly is NATURAL for guinea pigs, as is the bulge. If she's eating/pooping/drinking/peeing normally, don't treat her as if she's sick.

marlenes mom

Post   » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:16 pm

Thanks bpatters - I seem to be a worry wart after losing Marlene. I appreciate your help!

lisam

Post   » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:07 pm

I agree with bpatters about the ovarian cysts. She's about the age when they often become apparent. Keep an eye on her nipples--crusty nipples are a sign of ovarian cysts.