Romaine contamined with e. coli

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:44 pm

Consumer Reports is recommending that everyone throw out romaine -- several people have died from an e.coli outbreak.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... story.html

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:22 pm

I remember reading about that. Throwing out romaine would be a good preventive move.

CavyGirl04

Post   » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:19 pm

Definitely stay away. Not only is it E. coli, it is, according to USA Today, the 0157:H7 strain which can cause kidney and multiple organ failure. Needless to say, this means the risk of severe illness is MUCH higher for humans and probably guinea pigs (they can get shiga-toxin producing shigella, so it makes sense that the E. coli's shiga toxins would similarly affect them). For humans the infectious dose that can cause severe or fatal cases is as little as 10 bacterial cells, which could be on one small unwashed bit of lettuce (or even washed lettuce).

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:21 pm

Wow! I didn't know it was so deadly!

CavyGirl04

Post   » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:15 pm

Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome, which causes the organ failure, is not super common. It is just one unlikely, but very serious, complication. So it's not like every case develops it (luckily, or the outbreak would be a LOT more serious)

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:20 pm

We didn't even compost the last of our romaine. We just threw it out. I saw the same report.