4 Orphans need help!!

forestwalker66

Post   » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:20 am

I work at a pet store and there was a guinea pig who gave birth to 4 little ones. Sadly she passed away. Babies are 3 days old today. We talked to a local vet and he said to hand feed them goat's milk. I've been doing this for the last day but I have been reading and it doesn't seem that's correct. What should I be feeding them to give them the best chance? Any advice is appreciated.

Kimera

Post   » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:12 am

Substitute guinea pig milk is not available in the US, so you don't have much choice. I think that the best you can do is to wean the pups from milk as soon as possible, and feed them Critical Care type formula, 100% plant based. Young guineas are able to eat solid food already a few days after birth. Introduce hay and pellets slowly first, then vegetables.
Keep the babies warm and cover them with your palm while hand feeding - they will feel more comfortable, like under their mother' belly during nursing.
Good luck!

forestwalker66

Post   » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:08 am

Okay I have ordered critical care as the vet did not have any. It won't arrive till tomorrow though. Should I still continue with the goat's milk till then or should I make a mash out of pellets to give them?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:55 am

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:52 am

Goat's milk is the milk of choice for orphaned guinea pig pups.

But, it doesn't contain the antibodies that they need, so is really just a way to get calories and fluids into them. As soon as they're eating and drinking on their own, you should discontinue it.

Yes, feed a mash of the pellets, and start them on red or green leaf lettuce.

Is there another, older pig who will eat vegetables and drink from a bottle that could be put in with them? The best food is always in the other pig's mouth.

Kimera

Post   » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:55 pm

If you think you may have similar problems in the future, you can order substitute milk from Marumoto/Maru-vet, based in Belgium. It is freeze dried guinea pig colostrum in soy milk base. Since its main advantage is providing antibodies, pups need to be started on this formula no later than 24 h after birth.