Molar problems and vets

Harmony

Post   » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:42 am

Looking like I've got problems with the back teeth on one of the guineas - had to happen eventually I suppose, never had teeth problems before. However - can anyone reassure me that this is something that can be helped efficiently by a vet who is not a cavy expert. It may be just trimming back, or it maybe more complicated (cannot manage to get proper look single handed so will have to wait until vet appt to get a better look at them.
I do know people travel miles to see cavy dental experts, I suppose I am just hoping to be told that if not too complicated a general vet may be able to help?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:46 am

Sorry, no can do. It may not be serious enough to see a rodent dental expert, but it certainly needs someone who has experience with both tooth planing and cavy anesthesia.

And I'd encourage you to have it seen about quickly -- the sooner those problems are addressed, the better off the pig is.

Harmony

Post   » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:51 am

Thanks for answer, she's going in tomorrow so that I can at least find out exactly what the problem is - but where on earth I find someone experienced in cavies within travelling distance is a whole different story - mostly it tends to be thought of as weird to even take one to a vet!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:27 pm

See if you can find someone with experience treating rabbits (better than only dog and cat experience).

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:30 pm

You could call someone at Cambridge Cavy Trust and see if they can recommend someone near you.