Putting new guinea pigs hay into older guinea pigs hutch

DarylandMurle

Post   » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:22 pm

Hi, so I got a New Guinea pig yesterday, he is only 5 weeks old to go with my 10 month old boar who was recently bereaved. We have them in separate hutches in the same room while the little one settles in. It was suggested we swap their hay around from one bedding to the other so they can get used to each other’s smells. I have just done this but only with the older one (put some of the baby’s hay in his cage) and he is going crazy! He is wheeking and jumping (possibly popcorning) all over the place, is he distressed or will this distress him? If so I will remove the hay and put fresh in... he’s been doing it for about 20 minutes.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:35 pm

The baby will settle in better if you go ahead and put them together. But only do that if you're prepared for double vet bills if the new one infests/infects the older one with parasites/illness. You're going to be in for some rough weeks and months ahead while they're both in puberty, so I'd want the younger one moved in before that gets well under way.

Moving hay around isn't going to do much, if anything, to help them adjust. Here's the bible on pig introductions: http://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

BUT, how large is your cage? No pet store cage is large enough for two pigs, much less two boars. They'll need about 12 square feet if they're going to have room enough to live together peaceably.

DarylandMurle

Post   » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:33 pm

All together the cage is 6 x2 so hopefully this is enough, going to introduce them at the weekend in a neutral big space, I’m collecting cardboard boxes ready for this.

Nervous after reading that, I’m hoping there will be no fighting

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:27 pm

Although there's no guarantee, there's not likely to be fighting because the baby is still young. But the older one is in puberty, and the baby soon will be, and there's about a 99.99% chance that there'll be some squabbling in the weeks ahead.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:19 pm

Make sure you have two or three of everything. Put the dishes/bottles/hideys at different ends of the cage so no one pig can hoard/guard it all.

Your older pig may simply be excited to smell a new pig after the loss of his buddy. I wouldn't worry about the wheeking. When I first introduced my old boars Steve and Jules, Steve was really persistent in trying to find Jules (who was in quarantine). He *heard* someone out there, but wanted to see him. They got along very well and were introduced as adults. I'd think positive about your baby and the adolescent boar.

DarylandMurle

Post   » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:12 am

So I have put them both in a huge pen to introduce them, this was nearly 2 hours ago and the older boar has not moved, the little one has gone to hide under the pile of hay I put in the middle. What should I do? They haven’t interacted at all or eaten/drank anything or even done a poo yet....

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:13 am

Keep watching. Reread the link posted above to monitor and assess the situation.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:24 am

Did you read that link I gave you above? Introducing them in the cage isn't recommended.

DarylandMurle

Post   » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:43 am

Yes I read the link over 3 Times. I introduced them exactly as it said, it’s gone fine they are now together in the hutch and getting along well. They both took a long time to find each other if that makes sense? The little one went under the big pile of hay (as recommended in the link) and the older one just sat on the spot for 3 hours! In the end I intervened and put the older one at the opposite side of the hay pile he eventually dived in and they started to mount and run about together, they settled down after an hour and a half so we put them in the hutch (which had been cleaned and dried and all fresh put in). The only thing I did differently was leave the room and put the guinea cam on them so I could leave them to it and still watch them, they only seemed to move about and interact when I was not in the room, they could sense I was there I think, even though I was quiet and still, that is really hard to do for 3 hours, I’m sure they could even hear me typing on my iPad to you guys.