I don't know if my guinea pig is Pregnant!

WICharlie

Post   » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:38 pm

You will get pain medication to give him after the surgery so he won't be in pain. The good part of neutering him is that he will be able to live in the same cage as your female after he is healed and free of viable sperm (at least 3 weeks after the neuter). If you haven't done so already, check out the cages on guineapigcages.com to see how to build a proper sized cage for two pigs. Of course, you may have to wait a bit if your female is pregnant (to wait until the babies are old enough to be weaned). Female babies can remain with the mother, but male babies have to be removed at 21 days to prevent them from impregnating their mother and female siblings. At that point, male babies can be housed with the adult male. Of course, the cage has to be big enough for two or more males. So check out that cage site anyway. What happened to the babies of the first and second litter? If a male baby was left with her for longer than 21 days then that could explain the "mystery" of her second pregnancy.

OliCavies

Post   » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:37 pm

We put them up for adoption and they were both girls. Only one of the girls got adopted and we are waiting for the other one to be adopted too. I am 100% sure that both of them are girls. So the second is still going to remain a mystery.

JX4

Post   » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:31 pm

We neutered our boar and do not regret it at all. We thought he was a girl when we first got him along with our other two girls. Then when we realized he was a boy, he had already impregnated the other two. We scheduled him for neutering the next day, lol. We knew there were risks, but we also knew that neutering was the only way we could keep him, since we didn't think we could do separate cages. He was neutered when he was about 4 or 5 months old. He lives happily with our girls now in the same cage.

The procedure cost us about $150 from a cavy savvy vet who I like very much and is usually fairly reasonably priced. This included everything, and I do mean "everything." This included the anesthesia, the procedure, the antibiotics, the pain meds, etc. Our little guy did develop a complication (hematoma? I can't remember what it was called, but it was a swelling that looked like a missed testicle, but it wasn't), and the vet gave us the stuff necessary to flush the wound. After a couple of days of flushing we decided that was harder on our pig than just going back in surgically, which our vet said was an option. He went back in surgically to remove it -- without any further cost to us -- and that was that. Our pig healed nicely, and he was ready to go back in with the girls about the time the pups were born. We probably could have put him back in with them then, but we didn't, preferring to wait until we knew what sexes the babies were. At three weeks we had two male pups and put them in with their now-neutered dad. He was a great dad, teaching them things and providing adult companionship/comfort to them in the loss of their moms. We eventually re-homed the boy pups with a friend, who did not neuter them.

In comparing Twilight (our male) with his grown sons, we saw some glaring differences between a neutered male and intact ones, and as far as we are concerned, these differences are for the better:

Twilight did not grow as large as his sons have. It is three years later and he is the same size as the adult females we have. His sons are way larger.

Twilight does not have a testicle sac to drag along the ground and get bits of hay, poo and fuzzies from the fleece up in there. His sons have to have their anal sacs cleaned regularly. We've never had to clean Twilight's, though I have once or twice just to make sure (found virtually nothing).

Twilight can live with females with no fear of pregnancies. If the situation warranted it, he could also live with males. A neutered male can live with anyone.

Twilight can still "do it" when the females are in the mood, but there are no babies to worry about.

Twilight's personality has not changed at all. He still loves to be held and snuggled.

The $150 was well worth what the vet did. Especially since he went back in for no further cost when a complication arose.

Do NOT let a vet neuter your pig if the vet has not had experience neutering guinea pigs. Their plumbing is delicate and it's easy to make mistakes. Complications are somewhat common, but even so, it is very worth it. Twilight is very happy living with the girls now.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:10 pm

"We put them up for adoption and they were both girls. Only one of the girls got adopted and we are waiting for the other one to be adopted too. I am 100% sure that both of them are girls. So the second is still going to remain a mystery."

I'm confused. Your profile said that you had 3 guinea pigs. Are you saying you got rid of the two females but kept the male?

OliCavies

Post   » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:35 pm

"I'm confused. Your profile said that you had 3 guinea pigs. Are you saying you got rid of the two females but kept the male?"

I was talking about the sows pups. I currently have a boar and 2 sows. I already rehomed a sow and I am waiting for the other sow (not the "pregnant" one, her pup) to be adopted

OliCavies

Post   » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:18 pm

UPDATE

She isn't pregnant, thank god, she is down to 920 grams and everything is normal.