Jasmine's Medical Questions

piggylover49

Post   » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:25 pm

Hi, we have noticed our guinea pig Jasmine's paws are not looking normal.

First of all, we saw that there was a something underneath one of her toenails. It is the same material and her toenail, it is like a little block stuck under there. at first we thought it was just dirt stuck but when we tried to pull it off it would't come off.

Second, about a week ago we noticed one of her toenails is twisted. It is sideways and on that toe there is a red bump and it looks irritated.

Third, we noticed cuts on one of her paws this afternoon. One of the cuts looked like she didn't just get it, and the other one was bleeding a little so we couldn't really tell (it was not a lot of blood, just a few drips)

Do you have any suggestions for what we should do or any ideas of what it could be? Should we take her to the vet?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, we have noticed Jasmine is coughing and sneezing a lot. She is not showing any other signs of having a URI or other sickness, she is eating and drinking well, and she is playful and she does not have boogers. Any ideas on what it could be? We think it could be an allergy.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:41 pm

Because of the coughing and sneezing, yes, take her to the vet.
uri.html

You do not mention anything about the bedding she is on. A picture of the foot would be helpful.

If you have a clear crisp photo, you can send one here:

piggylover49

Post   » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:49 am

We have recently switched to a carefresh litter box but have fleece in the rest of the cage. She was coughing and sneezing before when we had fleece in the whole cage.I will try to get a picture.

piggylover49

Post   » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:25 pm

Also, because of the cuts we took the litter box out. I sent the image to that email.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:44 pm

Here you go:

I would try soaking the foot in a mild warm antiseptic solution.

I am guessing what you are seeing may be a "spur" (growth of foot pad) though it is in an unusual location. It may be a fungal infection (dermatophytes) that could be treated with something like Lotrimin, if I remember correctly.
feet.html#spurs

piggylover49

Post   » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:25 pm

Thanks so much for your help! I sent an email of another part of her foot, do you have any idea what that red part is? Thanks!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:35 pm

Unsure what part you mean. Looks like it could be a little sore.

piggylover49

Post   » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:18 pm

Yes, foot looks sore. We couldn't find anything on GL or google on sore guinea pig feet, do you have any idea on what could be making her feet sore and swollen and how to help her?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:45 pm

Go to the main page of this site (www.guinealynx.info) and click on Index. There's a whole section on Feet.

piggylover49

Post   » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:01 pm

Thanks! I did look through this earlier, and none of the pictures looked like Jasmine's feet. I did look at the spurs section again, it did not look like what she has, but like Lynx said if they are spurs they would be in a weird place. I didn't see anything about sore feet, though.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:44 am

Try some sort of fungal treatment for dermatophytes on the toe (oral or topical, if you can find one). Let us know if it helps.

Reddened feet can be caused by irritation from urine in bedding.

piggylover49

Post   » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:44 pm

Thanks so much! Also, I am a new guinea pig owner, so I do not have much experience. I have a few more questions:

- Won't the guinea pigs lick the cream off when they are grooming themselves? Also, they step in their hay and food, couldn't it be dangerous if they ingested cream?
- Can you use some sort of anti-fungal cream not specifically made for guinea pigs?

We have also started soaking Jasmine's feet in salt water 1-2 times a day, and we heard coconut oil can help with sore feet so are using that too. We are going to take her to the vet soon if her feet don't get better soon because I have a lot of questions and would rather be safe than sorry(her coughing gotten better in the past few days, so we are going to wait a few days with taking her to the vet because of the cough because she seems to be improving with the coughing)