Blockage?

fredwardtegreat

Post   » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:33 pm

Hi all (again)

I have a lethargic boar (probably 1-2 years old, he was a rescue). He's sitting in his hut, and every so often he'll make a whiny grunt sort of noise. He ate parsley when I offered it to him, and hay, but that was this morning and now he won't eat any more. I also gave him water in a bowl and he took a bit. He's still walking around a bit, but not much. I figured it's a blockage of sorts? Or a UTI? He's passed some stools but they were soft.

What can I do now to help, before we take him to the vet? I feel horrible about not being able to do anything.

Thanks
Fred

fredwardtegreat

Post   » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:36 pm

Update: He seems thirsty but won't drink, if it helps. I'm going to give him water with a syringe for the time being.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:38 pm

Is he bloated?

fredwardtegreat

Post   » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:41 pm

I don't think so, but I'll check. He's got the classic hunched and ruffled fur of a sick pig, anything to do with a URI? I've had those go through my pigs before.

fredwardtegreat

Post   » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:46 pm

I gave him water and felt his stomach. it did feel a little swollen. I can use simethicone to help him with this? He also had a milky sort of goo in one eye, but not both (the right one). Is this just the normal lubricant guinea pigs have?

fredwardtegreat

Post   » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:53 pm

I think that he may have gone off water and I hadn't noticed because his bottle is leaky. He seemed to like the water I gave him, so I'll do that periodically, but is there anything else that helps with dehydration?

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:54 pm

Hunched and ruffled is a classic sign of pain, so it could have many possible causes.  Does he have any other signs of URI?

Yes, you can give Simethicone, which may or may not help.  Here is some info on bloat:
https://www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html#bloat   

You may also check for impaction, which could cause a temporary blockage.
https://www.guinealynx.info/impaction.html

The white stuff in his eye is most likely grooming fluid, which is normal. 

fredwardtegreat

Post   » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:56 pm

No other signs of URI, he's breathing fine and no crusty nose/eyes. I'll get him into the vet ASAP but for now I'll check for impaction and get some simethicone. Thanks for your help!

fredwardtegreat

Post   » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:30 pm

Quick question, will simethicone hurt him if it's not bloat? And do the symtoms sound at all like dehydration? He's very thirsty, but won't drink aside from me giving him some.

Thanks!

fredwardtegreat

Post   » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:15 pm

I gave him the dose of simethicol that was recommended on the motility drugs page and massaged him a bit, doesn't really feel like bloat anymore but the simethicol can't hurt anyways. Any other ideas?

Sorry if I'm being a pest.

Svh

Post   » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:25 pm

Is the whiny grunt sound possibly associated with him trying to pee or poo?

I would watch him closely to see if he seems like he is hunching or straining at all. If he is I would suspect it could be bladder stones or something urinary.

fredwardtegreat

Post   » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:33 pm

He seems to make it whenever he has to move or when I pick him up, but he doesn't feel bloated. I'll watch for when he makes it from now on, though.