Dandruff

Daden62

Post   » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:53 am

Hi all. I took my four guinea pigs to the vet's office about 6 weeks ago to have them checked for mites or lice. She found a couple of dead ones on them so prescribed some Ivermectin to give them orally once a week for three weeks. I also thoroughly cleaned the cage at the time I dosed them. We completed the medicine about 2 weeks ago but I'm still seeing a lot of dandruff on them. Wookie, the reason I thought they might have a problem, still has a flaky, scabby spot on her back. I am going to clean that spot with some coconut oil, it is in the area where the grease gland is located. I gave them all a bath on Saturday using the Nizoral.

Do I need to continue dosing them with Ivermectin until all the dandruff is gone? One of them is a Teddy, is it safe to give her a bath once a week with the Nizoral? I have had her since she was a baby (1-1/2 years) and she has always had dandruff that I assumed was dry skin. It has never gotten any worse than when I first noticed it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:04 pm

Ivermectin is much more effective topically on lice than it is orally. Or you could try Revolution topically.
lice.html

While you are concerned that the dry skin might be fungal, I would try the Nizoral bath. But also, perhaps later in the day, see if you can work in some cold pressed coconut oil to moisten the skin.

Daden62

Post   » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:28 pm

I am still having trouble with the flaky skin and dry looking hair on a couple of my guinea pigs. I know that I'm going to have to bathe them every week with the Nizoral but I am worried about Sara. She is old and has a chronic rattle in her lungs. I have her on antibiotics right now. Would it be better just to separate her from the group and treat the rest of them or bathe her and risk getting her chilled? I don't see the flaky skin on her.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:47 pm

Then I would not bathe her. I think your concerns are valid.

Are you seeing any improvement with the ivermectin?

Daden62

Post   » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:43 pm

Not really but I haven't been as diligent as I need to be. I've made a small separate cage to house them while I'm giving baths and cleaning the bigger cage. I have untrustworthy cats and a dog so I have to be careful where I put them.