Guinea pig losing weight

Emilyc216

Post   » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:06 pm

My male guinea pig (Toby) is around 3-5 weeks old. As of 1/13/18, he weighed 303 grams. Yesterday he dropped to 298 grams, and today he weighed 287. He is eating and drinking normally, and he saw a vet last week for an eye problem, and the vet didn't comment on his weight or point out any problems regarding weight. Is it normal for young guinea pigs to have dips in their weight? At what point should I be concerned about his weight loss? If it turns out to be serious, how can I help him put on weight?

His daily diet is abut 60% timothy hay, 30% veggies (red cabbage, romaine, bell pepper, celery leaves, occasional carrot), and 10% of a bland pellet (no fancy dyes or dried fruits )

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:44 pm

The amount of weight you're worrying about is about 2-3 teaspoons of water, and is not significant. Unless you're weighing him at the same time of day, preferably in the morning before breakfast, you don't know whether you're weighing mostly pig, or additional food/poop/pee.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:45 pm

What brand of pellet?

How is his behavior? Was an antibiotic prescribed for the eye issue? Might this be an upper respiratory infection?
www.guinealynx.info/uri.html

Emilyc216

Post   » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:41 pm

Just Oxbow Essentials

He's gotten pretty lethargic today and I've been forcing him to drink water. There was an antibiotic perscribed: Terramycin. I don't think it's a respiratory problem because he literally just saw the vet a week ago

Emilyc216

Post   » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:20 pm

I'm just not sure what to do. I can't get him in to a vet's office for a while because it's about to snow and for some reason literally everything closes down when there's like 4 inches of snow...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:26 pm

Was this Terramycin ophthalmic ointment? Or was it oral? Read over www.guinealynx.info/antibiotic_advice.html

Emilyc216

Post   » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:58 pm

It was the ointment, I heard the oral stuff isnt the best for them

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:06 pm

It's pretty much the standard ophthalmic ointment, I think.

Emilyc216

Post   » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:09 pm

He passed away this morning so forget it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:12 pm

I am sorry to hear you lost him.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:02 pm

I'm sorry you lost him.