What is going on?

MelsPigs

Post   » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:08 am

I got my baby girl a couple weeks ago from a pet shop and was told she was only a few months old. Well the first week trudged a long fine but I noticed symptoms of a URI, observed her for a couple days and then it was off to the local rescue for a health check. They confirmed my thoughts and gave us baytril (1/2 of .1 cc twice a day). I've since learned that baytril is not good on the gut. I wish I knew. Now she's so very bloated and ill and I feel helpless. On Wednesday my mom was taking care of her (still on the baytril) and noticed that she wasn't pooping. I came home from school later that night and realized a slight bloating, did some research and figured she had a baytril intolerance and immediately stopped it. Thursday she was very bloated, not drinking water and only interested in hay. I did some research, gave her .2 cc of olive oil and plenty of massage. With that she started to poop again very small and very dry and light in color. I took her back to the rescue (hoping they might have a motility drug on hand mostly) they said there was nothing they could do but sent us home with some cc. I've given her the cc and plenty of tummy rubs and another dose of olive oil. I've gotten her to eat the cc, she's had some of her pellets and is drinking water. Still major bloat and her poops seem to be very large, soft (but not runs like), smelly, and malformed. But she's pooping. She has a vet appointment for early sunday morning (even living in a big city exotic vets are hard to come by) and I'm really not sure how to help her. I will take any advice. My sweet dulce has become my life over these past couple of weeks and I can't loose her.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:21 am

From what I understand,the olive oil isn't doing her any good. I'd give baby simethicone if you're trying to clear up gas. Pooping is good, so keep up with the critical care. Vet may check for parasites? something has her digestive tract thrown off. What is her everyday diet consist of?

MelsPigs

Post   » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:17 pm

Her diet has been timothy and alfalfa mixed (because she's so young) and oxbow young guinea pig pellets. I've tried introducing some veggies. She's shown a mild interest in carrot but nothing else. A friend suggested that I blend up the veggies and give it to her via syringe but then this whole bloat thing began and that didn't happen. I will definitely run out and get some baby simethicone. Any ideas on dosage?

MelsPigs

Post   » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:38 pm

I'm very confused by her. She gets real excited when I bring the hay bag out. Will drink water, eat hay and eat pellets on her own but her belly still seems to be pretty distended and swollen. She's got me very worried.

MelsPigs

Post   » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:42 pm

Could she be pregnant and just "popped"?

MelsPigs

Post   » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:49 pm

She's having a good root around in some fresh hay now. She's munchin but her belly appears pretty swollen. But honestly it seems like she's loving life and this hay. Which by the way you cant hand feed her hay because she LOVES to root around in it and I guess if it doesn't smell like her she doesn't want it. I'm not really sure what is going on here and even though she's got a vet appointment tomorrow I'm desperate for any help so I can start to make sense of this

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:49 pm

Having come from a pet store, pregnancy is always a possibility. It sounds like the enlarged abdomen didn't start until after she was given Baytril, though, so it's possible that it has caused the bloating. Have you tried probiotics?

Some helpful information on treating Bloat can be found here:
https://www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html#bloat