New owner with a poop question

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:13 am

I have just adopted an elderly pig, he's happy and healthy, has unlimited hay, and the previous owner fed him unlimited vegetables, which I have limited after doing a lot of research, although he definitely gets a little more than the recommended 1 cup amount. I have also started giving him handfuls of fresh grass every day or two about three weeks ago. My question is poop related, what exactly is healthy poo. The shape and colour are both as should be. I spot clean twice a day and some of them are hard and dry(older poos?), and some are softer, firm but can be squashed between fingers. I just want to make sure that is normal, as many people have mentioned "softer poos" as sign of too many fresh vegetables. I just want to make sure if this kind of soft is acceptable or should I cut down on the fresh stuff.

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:54 am

I don't know if this would be helpful to you, but you could look it over.

Drier poops can indicate not enough food/dehydration. Note if the softer poops are greenish and stinky (special poops that should be reingested).

Post   » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:49 pm

If the poops are really soft, it might be from too much fresh foods. One of my piggies has a very sensitive tummy and gets soft poops if he eats lots of fresh foods. At first I was feeding him the same amount as the other boys (roughly a cup a day), the vet suggested I cut down the amount of fresh foods, and sure enough his soft poops stopped. I noticed he's especially sensitive to "strong" stuff, like herbs and chicory. So I cut those out of his diet, his poops firmed up alot since then. That being said, you may want to cut down on the amount of fresh foods your piggy gets, maybe bring it down to half a cup of veggies and stop feeding grass for a few days and see if that makes a difference. You also want to make sure he's eating lots of hay :)!

Post   » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:53 am

Healthy, fresh poops are well-formed and solid, but could be squished. They're not rock-hard. "Soft" poops are generally not well-formed, look mushy or even runny. Older poops are dry and can be very hard (try stepping on one - ouch). If you are seeing soft/squishy feces, you could follow the suggestion to cut back for a while and then gradually re-introduce various veggies to see if it makes a difference. Since it sounds like you might know the previous owner(?), you could also ask if what you're seeing is normal for him.

4 posts • Page 1 of 1