eye problem

theGins

Post   » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:19 pm

Has anyone had an experience with a guinea pig having an eye that is oozing some, and he is squinting, and the eye seems to have receded a bit? We have this going on with our piggie Sam right now. Our exotics vet is not in today and won't be back in until Monday and she is the only true exotics vet in town that I know of. I took him in to our vet who is was in, who is a dog and cat vet, and they weren't sure what was wrong. They rinsed his eye thoroughly, gave me antibiotic ointment for his eye, and did a check to make sure there was no corneal abrasion (there was not). They also said if he is not better by Monday to take him to the exotic vet, but I am afraid that may be too long to wait. At this point I don't know what to do. Any thoughts? He is still eating and drinking, peeing and pooping also. He does seem lower than normal in activity level. He is 7 1/2 years old and looked just fine until I woke up this morning and saw his one eye was having these issues.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:56 pm

Eyes are pretty much eyes are pretty much eyes, whatever the species. If there's one thing a non-exotic vet can usually safely treat your guinea pig for, it's an eye condition. That said, not every vet could do it, but the odds are pretty good.

I'd give the antibiotic ointment time to work -- it won't be instantaneous. If the eye doesn't get worse, you could probably wait until Monday. But if it does worsen, or if his general condition deteriorates, then I'd try to find an emergency exotic vet. He's pretty old for a piggy, so any small symptom bears watching carefully.

Clint The Cuy

Post   » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:35 pm

What ointment are they having you treat with? Also how often?

theGins

Post   » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:23 am

Clint, they gave me Vetropolycin eye ointment. It contains bacitracin, neomycin, and polymyxin. I just stopped using it (we had put in the one eye twice, 2 doses yesterday) because I just now read the article on this site about antibiotics, and bacitracin was listed as dangerous for guinea pigs. Even though it's an eye ointment, I don't like that as it could get into his system. i am trying to get him through today as the really good exotics vet is supposed to be back in her office Monday. My gut feeling is that he has a dental problem and this really is not an eye problem. He has been having some trouble chewing his mini-carrots lately; sometimes they seem to get stuck on his teeth instead of him being able to bite right through them. I am going to try to make some phone calls today and see if I can find another exotic vet who is available, but it is Sunday, so I am not hopeful about that. This morning he is still eating and walking around.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:05 am

Eye ointments with those ingredients are frequently given. Your only concern is to apply sparingly to avoid their wiping it off and ingesting it.

I would use the ointment if I were you.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:28 pm

Ditto to Lynx. Very little of those drugs get into the system when used as an ointment. And many of the ones that are on the taboo list are there because of what they do to the digestive tract when taken orally. Some of them are fine if administered some other way.

theGins

Post   » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:05 am

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the advice. I will get him into the vet today for a recheck. He is still eating and walking around well so I am hopeful. The eye is still quite recessed though.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:42 am

Let us know how it goes. I imagine an xray will be taken to look for signs of elongated roots or infection. Hoping he can recover!

theGins

Post   » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:00 pm

Update: I did finally get our dear piggie in with our trusted exotic vet this morning and she said he has a pretty large corneal ulcer on his one eye. She told me NOT to use the Vetropolycin as it often spreads down the cheek (which it did on our guy) and then when the piggie cleans himself, he can ingest it. Or a littermate may lick it off as pigs often lick each others' eyes. She said she does not like it for guinea pigs and does not think it is safe enough. She prescribed Ofloxacin and Tobramycin eye drops for his eye. Also she put him on Metacam for a week as his eye is inflamed and probably hurts and he likely has arthritis as well (he is 7 1/2). He will go back in this Friday for a recheck and in the meantime needs to be caged alone and away from his pig pal so the eye can get a better chance to heal. RIght now he is getting these eye drops 4-6 times a day and I hope he feels better soon. BTW she checked his teeth thoroughly and said they look great. No other problems either, really glad about that.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:46 pm

Sounds like you have a thorough vet! I hope your guinea pig's eye clears up!