A Fraud and a Charlatan

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:36 pm

The Women's March yesterday across the country was fab! I hear my daughter participated in NYC.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/1/20/1734557/-Signs-Th ... en-s-Marches

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:50 pm

We had nearly 20,000 in Houston. Great march!

WICharlie

Post   » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:42 am

Apparently Trump thought they were there to celebrate the good economy.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:28 pm

Things are scary. Trump's refusal to sign the Russia sanctions after the House & Senate overwhelming approved the legislation is defiance of rule of law. When there's such a huge majority vote, the pres has no choice in the matter - has to be signed.

This is a constitutional crisis. We keep hearing about it, well it's here.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:28 pm

Someone recently described so much of what has been going on as constitutional rot.

It sure seems like it.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:03 pm

"Apparently Trump thought they were there to celebrate the good economy."
hahaha

I was impressed with the turnouts.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2018

Post   » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:44 am

I was thrilled to find out that this woman whose fantastic work I have been following is the daughter of an acquaintance. @$%@^%@$& hypocrites!

#resistancegeneology !

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:25 am

That is so totally cool, mmeadow! She sounds like a fabulous person! Pretty much all of us (except native Americans) have immigrant roots. I am fuzzy on most of my family but do remember one grandmother who I believe was Irish, being adopted by a French couple. She lived in Wisconsin with them.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:29 pm

Ha! She really nailed Scavino. So satisfying.

Erinspigs

Post   » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:38 pm

I want to have my DNA tested to find out where I come from. Has anyone done that? One day I'm going to be the one in the family that does the genealogy chart.

The one cool family root is that some people are from the Kingdom of Bohemia. One of the names occurs in the Hapsburg line. Can you imagine, if I'm a Hapsburg?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:13 pm

You'll get far more genealogical information if a male relative, like your father or brother, or your mother's brothers/father/uncles submits the DNA for testing. Because the Y chromosome mutates at a fairly steady rate, you get more information from it. But what they can determine from maternal DNA is increasing steadily. So if I were you, I'd wait a few years before getting that done. But if male relatives would do it now, you could get good information about those lines.

Lots of people have royal, famous or infamous ancestors. But you have to take all that with a grain of salt. A lot of the published genealogies are inaccurate, and DNA is disproving a bunch of them. One thing to always keep in mind when doing genealogy is, "Mama's baby, daddy's maybe." I have a new bunch of cousins who always thought they were Zimmermans until one guy's DNA proved them to be Greens.

If you do start working on it, start with the recent stuff and learn how to prove things -- with birth/death/adoption/court/whatever records. Read genealogy forums and learn who the best researchers for any surname are. They'll be the suspicious ones who won't take anyone's word for anything until they've got supporting evidence. Don't copy family trees wholesale -- you'll wind up with total garbage.

Erinspigs

Post   » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:45 pm

Thank you bpatters for the great advice, I will definitely follow. I don't really think I'm a Hapsburg but I will enjoy doing the genealogy because I like history so much. I didn't know much about Bohemia and when I found out some of our people came to America from Bohemia I began reading about the history. Fun.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:51 am

I believe my other grandmother was a Bohemian. Difficult when countries disappear to have a sense of where you're from!

I imagine many of you have run across an interesting reconstruction of a person who lived in England. Blue eyes and dark skin! We are all one and have evolved over time.

Britton's 10,000 year old "Cheddar Man":
https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/02/ancient-face-cheddar-man-reconstructed-dna-spd/

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:59 pm

Just saw that. Interesting!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:40 pm

I think Mueller is at or near end-game. Which is to say, he's ready to nail Trump. But how it's all going to play out - I don't have a clue.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:52 pm

I'm wondering if Congress people will be drawn in. It would be nice if he could take out all the bad guys.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:35 am

I think the net bringing the bad guys in is spread pretty wide. Hope so.

"Trump administration quietly makes it legal to bring elephant parts to the U.S. as trophies"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/animalia/wp/2018/03/06/t ... 9fe40654468b

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:23 am

"Finally, Trump does something Republicans can’t stomach"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/finally-trump-does-s ... 0d226687270a

This is an op-ed from WaPo. It starts with a list of Trump outrage greatest hits. It moves on to a brief discussion of Congressional Republican reaction to Trump's trade war. They don't like it & they're saying so - mainly because a trade war would be *very bad* for the economy (like causing another recession or a depression). Corporate America (big Rep. donors) doesn't like that.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:29 pm

Yes indeed. They don't like that. Hey, maybe something everyone could get on board with and stop Trump?

I thought he did the elephant parts a while back. Or maybe it was tiger/lion parts?

Piece 'a work he is. Piece 'a work.

He is going to be buried.

Erinspigs

Post   » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:51 pm

I don't know about this one. I understated the ramifications would be great but America needs it's own competitive steel industry. I understand importing steel became cheaper than what we were doing here but it doesn't have to be that way.

When America was great we manufactured, and we used our own steel industry that provided hundreds of thousands of good jobs. Maybe those unions went too far, maybe they didn't I don't know who was right or wrong but it's worth at least taking a look at what we can do. I'm not saying the tariff is a good or a bad thing but looking at the whole picture isn't a bad idea. Although I'm not sure that's what Trump has in mind either.

The steel, aluminum. titanium etc used to build the aircraft I hope to fly is mostly made in America. But we make far too little of it. We can make superior metals at competitive prices, so maybe we should?

207 posts