ongoing URI, A/B's not working??

LS in AK
Upside-down & Backwards

Post   » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:54 am

Wow, just looked back over this thread, and you've been fighting this for over a year now. Guess that means Turbo isn't likely to outgrow whatever is going on?

Did you ever test for mycoplasma? I know that can cause chronic respiratory problems in rats, and cause some severe illnesses in piggies.

Sorry for the repeat info on my little boy. Forgot that I'd already put his story on your thread.

I'd start with the gentamicin and see if it helps. The on/off pulse treatment in the nebulizer combined with wet veggies should help minimize risk to the kidneys. If you see any loss of appetite or discolored urine, I'd call the vet right away.

If my little boy hadn't suffered a bad reaction to the gentamicin and cipro, the plan was to nebulize him with it for a month.

Sounds like Turbo has had a lot of issues - I would not be surprised if he has a compromised immune system due some in-breeding depression or poor care early in life (ie before he came to your home.) I would be prepared for low-level maintenance AB therapy throughout his life.

Also, keep tabs on his heart.

grace505

Post   » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:40 am

No problem on the repeat info.

Yeah, it's been a long haul and we've tried just about everything else that was indicated as sensative on the lab report, so here we are.

I think you are absolutely right, he's just always going to be my little poorly pig. He's also had stuff going on with his eyes for a while now and leaves serious white spots in the cage, so i have to figure that out as well. His brother, Diesel, has been off meds for months now and he's not getting sick, it's just Turbo.

I'll let you know how it goes, we did our first session this morning and he did well, ate his veggies in the tank and drank lots of Vit. C flavored water after. Thanks for all of your suggestions!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:10 pm

I imagine you have read www.guinealynx.info/.html and are giving him a timothy pellet (not alfalfa)?

I hope the gentamycin helps him!!

grace505

Post   » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:15 pm

Lynx, yes, i've read all the pages, thank you!

He is on the timothy pellets, i might reduce them a little bit b/c he does eat a lot of hay, see if that helps.

I am also going to start experimenting withholding different veggies that have a higher calcium content and see if that makes a difference at all.

I'm crossing my fingers on the Gentamicin as well, thank you!!

peppercookie

Post   » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:54 am

Hi Grace (and other lovely members of the forums!),

Sorry for posting to a thread so long after your last post, but my guinea pig is going through something similar. Were you able to cure Turbo in the end with the nebulizer?

My pig Cookie has been on several courses of baytril, then bactrim for a week (how long does it take for it to kick in?) and now doxy for 4 days for a course of 3 weeks. An x-ray showed signs of pneumonia and no signs of an enlarged heart. In total she's been trying to kick this on and off for around a year now. Perhaps I need to wait a few more days with the doxy, but it hasn't shown much improvement. I think we'll try the baytril and doxy combo together next (orally).

I will be starting a new thread after this as this one is quite old and was created for Turbo, but I wanted to check in to see what happened in your case.
Thanks!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:29 am

peppercookie, since it has been so long, it is unlikely she will see your post. She last visited this forum 5/21/2013, 1:18 pm. You could try sending your question using the mailer on the chance she has the same email address. Encourage her to post on this thread.

Phantomhorse

Post   » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:50 am

peppercookie, if it's pneumonia I may be able to help you. I had a girl that had pneumonia once, and relapsed three times before beating it, and I fought it with one of my boys for about a month before I lost him. I've tried many different treatments and may be able to help! Maybe start your own thread for this (if you haven't started one already) and we can all pitch in?