Hard white area below one eye

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:43 pm

Ditto bpatters. You essentially could just apply these safer drops to the skin near the eye, knowing that they should not hurt the eye if it gets in it.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:31 am

Vets do like to confirm these things with tests, but I think the culture is unnecessary--there is no doubt in my mind that it is ringworm. The first time I dealt with ringworm, it was in the same location, just under the eye. My vet gave me "pledgets" -- anti-fungal wipes that I used very carefully, being sure not to get it in the eye. I much prefer to treat ringworm with shampoo, but do not know if a full-body treatment is safe for such a young pig. You might be able to use the shampoo in just the problem location, thereby limiting exposure. Leave it on for 10 minutes, during which you can distract the pig with snacks. You then carefully rinse it with water.

Kimera

Post   » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:32 am

One thing you can safely use on or near the eye is warm saline, preferably sterile. You can use it to soften and wash off any "gunk" from the eyelids and fur.

coltond

Post   » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:00 pm

Thanks for all of the helpful responses. Would something like this be effective in treating the fungus in the meanwhile? It doesn't say to avoid the eyes, but obviously, I would try my hardest to avoid eye contact.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00K4WWY0I/ref ... DAbYQ5MXZD

These wipes have the same active ingredients as Malaseb (Active ingredients: Chlorhexidine Gluconate 2%, Miconazole Nitrate 2%) from the Guinea Lynx fungus write-up posted in a previous comment. (https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html)

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:45 pm

The material data sheet on the shampoo with those ingredients says it can cause eye irritation. And the Allivet Pet Pharmacy says to avoid contact with the eyes. So I'd be very careful if I decided to use it.

coltond

Post   » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:09 pm

It completely slipped my mind to check the Safety Data Sheet on the product. I found the SDS for the product listed above here and it says that it can cause mild eye irritation. I will exercise caution while using the product, but I think I'll have a better chance treating him with this product and less likely to get it in his eye than let's say Canesten.

coltond

Post   » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:36 pm

I just wanted to post an update. On the 6th of February, we observed a lot more hair loss. I took him in for a second opinion and he's now being treated for ringworm. Both vets I spoke with said that there were not any ophthalmic medications that could be used to effectively treat this, so he was prescribed Itrafungol at a dosage of 0.5 ml/kg of weight for 30 days. The Itrafungol was mixed at a local pharmacy in a "tutti-frutti" suspension, which Nigel loves. Unfortunately, we handled him barehandedly before we first noticed the symptoms above and I have a mild breakout of ringworm on my forearm, yay!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:58 pm

I hope the medication does the trick! Hoping for a ringworm-free update in the future!