Lump under my pigs chin

Stanley+Meg

Post   » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:17 pm

Hi all,
Today while i was stroking my guinea pig Stanley I noticed a solid lump (around the size of a grape) underneath his chin. I don't know when this happened or why but if anyone has any advice on what I should so please let me know. He seems completely normal as he is still eating, drinking, running around ect. but i'm extremely worried about it.
Thanks

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:39 pm

You should get him to a vet.

Lumps under the chin are often cervical lymphadenitis. The lumps can rupture, and the infectious agent is very contagious.

Very likely, the vet will drain the lump. You'll then need to flush it a few times a day to keep all the pus cleaned out and to let the wound heal from the inside out. And the pig will need to be on antibiotics.

See http://www.guinealynx.info/lumps.html

Stanley+Meg

Post   » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:30 pm

Update:

Just got back from the vets and it turns out that he has what looks to be a small tumor so we are scheduled for an operation next Tuesday. Very worried about him but hopefully all will be well. He still seems completely fine which is a positive and I'm sure that next week after the operations everything will be grand

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:17 pm

Keep a close eye on him. Weigh daily right now and make sure he is eating enough. If the vet is wrong about it being a tumor and it is instead a CL infection, it may burst/get worse.

Let us know how it goes. I hope he heals well. If it is an abscess instead, removing it and the wall of the abscess will definitely help.

4 posts • Page 1 of 1