Dragging back legs from one day to the next

chippy

Post   » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:24 pm

His situation has degenerated. I have been looking everywhere for calcium lactate but cannot find it for sale in any of the pharmacies around my house. His spine now seems to be crooked from laying on the side and squeaks loudly when he is picked up. Could I just give him regular calcium supplements? If so any idea of how much? After reading this https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44412 I am really starting to believe he may be suffering from osteodystrophy.

Thanks again for any suggestions...

Kimera

Post   » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:15 pm

You may be able to find calcium gluconate, also used in human medicine as calcium supplement. You need vitamin D3 and K to absorb calcium properly, so it is best to find a supplement which has all these components.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:20 pm

I am sorry to hear he has gone downhill. I hope you can find the supplements Kimera suggests.

chippy

Post   » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:48 pm

All this advice is much appreciated. I cannot find calcium gluconate but can find calcium citrate or calcium carbonate. Would any of these 2 be ok? If so any idea of the dosage? Thanks!

Kimera

Post   » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:28 am

Calcium carbonate is more or less the same as chalk, so it is not appropriate, but calcium citrate is used as a source of calcium in medicine. I have no idea about the dosage, however. It may be extrapolated from the dose for humans.