Fungal Infection?

Ralik

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:26 pm

Hello everyone,

I have recently adopted two female piggies that have been doing really well until recently. I've been looking at the info provided on the main site for help and advice, and was thinking about joining the forums. Unfortunately, I have ended up having to introduce myself at a not so good time.

Mayahuel and Oxomo are my guineas. Below is a picture of what they look like normally. I assume they're both younger (typical pet store age?). Mayahuel had a slightly irritated looking eye about a week after coming home, but I figured she may have just bumped it against some hay, and it cleared up after a day or two. When I was checking on her today however, I noticed that she is now missing some fur on the opposite side of here face.

Here is a picture of what is going on with Mayahuel's face.

I've done a bit of digging around on the internet and I think the best candidate is probably a fungal infection. I wanted to get opinions from you guys in case there may be details that I am missing. Oxomo seems to not have anything on her at all, but I will be checking on both of them frequently. Neither appear to be suffering from a loss of appetite, nor are they acting aggressive to each other. I've got them bedded on fleece, and they have access to pellet food, papaya treats, and timothy hay, as well as a water dish that I make sure to clean frequently.

Thank you all in advance for any help or advice. I just got these girls, but I want to take as good care of them as possible. Should I separate them, and if so, what is the best way to do this? i just have one

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:16 pm

Fungus, most likely.

Don't separate them. The other one has been thoroughly exposed. But do watch them both for any other signs.

See https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html for treatment options.

Ralik

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:21 pm

Thanks for getting back to me so fast bpatters! I appreciate it, and I'm sure both Mayahuel and Oxomo do too. That's somewhat of a relief. I am really glad that it doesn't look to be mites at first glance.

Right now I am leaning towards getting an ointment of some sort. Have any of yo had experience with using these? good news is that i've got them in a fairly large home right now, but the material is pretty easy to clean. I've already begun to rewash all of their spare fleece and towels too.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:01 pm

Did you read the article? One of the suggestions is for an ointment. And plenty of people have used them. Just apply sparingly with a q-tip and rub it in well, twice a day.

Ralik

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:01 pm

Yep, I did. I went out and got miconazole for her, and was able to get it applied with the help of a roommate! Hopefully Mayahuel will officially be on the road to recovery.

As I understand, it takes a little while for the ointment to actual get rid of all the fungus. I also got them the recommended dandruff/antifungal shampoo to bathe with, and will be able to start them on it tomorrow night. I will also be doing the ointment twice a day.

Do you know if the spot will still likely increase in size when you start the cream, or should I be alarmed if it does so after a day or so?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:19 pm

Let me know if you'd like your medical picture added permanently to your thread for future readers.

Hopefully it will not increase in size but I don't know if it will or not. The cream you got should be effective.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:20 pm

It shouldn't increase in size, but it will take several days for the hair to start to grow back.

Ralik

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:46 am

i think that would be great lynx, thank you. If anyone else can be helped by this that is always a good thing!

Also it's good to hear that the spot shouldn't grow. I've applied the ointment twice so far, though to be honest Mayahuel is making it a fight. Luckily I've been able to get my roommate to help out with the process. Any advice on how to have her be more calm when I'm applying it?

Also, I got some Nizoral for them as well. I am hoping I won't have to end up using it (The info said to use it if the infection is on the trunk), but if I see any signs of spreading I will probably give it a shot. Thank you all so much for the help!

Kimera

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:10 am

Fungal infections are pretty common in guinea pigs, because they result from a temporary immunodeficiency, which in turn is a result of stress. Guinea pigs are nervous animals and get stressed easily, particularly when they change surroundings. Fortunately, while fungal infections can be persistent, they pose no real threat, especially when they are treated in early stage.
Besides applying antifungal cream, provide your new piggies with good, varied food, plenty of spaces to feel safe and comfortable, and they wil get better in no time.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:25 am

I edited your post to display the images. Let us know how he progresses! (I hope it clears up easily)

What is the seedy looking thing in the picture of your two guinea pigs?

If you haven't read the dietary guidelines on the site, this is a good place to start:
diet.html

And to simplify:
fave.html

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:29 am

It may help to have your roommate cover the pig's eyes while you're trying to put the ointment on.

Ralik

Post   » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:34 am

@Kimera: Thank you for the info. I'm glad to hear it is not as deadly an issue as I feared. Nevertheless, I hate that she got an infection in my care. I'm planning on going to get some fresh fruits and snacks for them today. I was thinking some carrots, strawberries and another fruit for them to try.

@Lynx: And thanks to you for taking care of the images. I'm guessing you guys have a lot of trouble with photobucket dropping the images through time?
The seed things are treat bars. They're these here. https://www.chewy.com/kaytee-forti-diet ... lsrc=aw.ds

Looking through the information you provided on food, I see that seed treats are not actually reccomended? I've been giving those sparingly but I will stop if they really are bad for the Guineas. Why would this be the case? (I already knew to avoid the yogurt covered ones. Didn't seem right feeding something like that to an herbivore) And while we're on the topic, do you see the little chew wheel in the corner of the picture? They're not mineral/salt wheels, but a flavored chew wheel that was marketed as being something hard for them to chew on. They've loved the "Banana" flavored one so far. Do you think something like that is fine, or should I take them out?

@bpatters: I will try that tonight, thank you. I was able to apply some by myself last night and this morning, but she's struggling against it pretty hard. I think she can feel the q-tip on her whiskers and it freaks her out.

-------------------------------------------

Thank you guys again for all the information, help and advice!