Guinea pig paralyzed

arisellaz

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:33 am

Hi all, I'm new here.
I have a 7 year old female guinea pig Blackie. She has been very healthy all along.
However since 1st January, she had been limping. At first, she was limping and now she is totally not able to move at all.

I have brought her to two cavy-savvy vets. They prescribed Metacam, silvin cream and fluorex(?) for her. However, her condition did not improve.
Despite not being able to walk, her appetite was fine. She still ate the hay, pellets, cucumbers and bell peppers eagerly. Her weight was 700g the last time we weighed at the vet and vet said her weight is fine. She has symptoms of "bumblefoot" as well as some leg disalignment which the vet said but could not pinpoint why.

For the second vet visit, she did an xray and vet suggested she may need a bone surgery and refer me to another vet instead. I have not contacted the other vet yet as my parents are unhappy I have spent so much money on her and there is no improvement at all. I am also wary about letting her go for any surgery at her age.

Right now, I am feeling very upset everyday. I plan to make a wheelchair for her but even her front foot seemed to be painful. These are what I have provided for her the past few weeks:
1)Osteocare
2)Vitamin C - 50mg to 100mg daily
3)Fresh veggies and hay
4)Critical care
5)SIlvin cream and Betadine solution on her foot.

However, there is still no improvement to he condition. Can anyone advise? Vet did not say that she has scurvy or calcium deficiency. In fact, they could not pinpoint what is wrong with her except that she is unable to walk at all. The picture shown is exactly how her leg is right now. Image

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:09 am

Like you, I'd be very reluctant to let a vet perform any sort of surgery on a 7-year-old pig. Did the vet say why the x-ray suggested bone surgery? What would the surgeon be doing?

The position of her legs and the fact that she can't walk could be hip dysplasia.

How long has she been on the Osteocare? I'm not sure how long I'd leave an elderly pig on it, as it's very high in calcium and might contribute to bladder stones.

arisellaz

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:41 am

Hi bpatters
Thanks for the response. The vet said that based on the Xray, the hind legs appeared to "split". I am not entirely sure what she meant as she was not sure either and claimed that it will be better for me to see another vet. It seemed pointless to pay for a vet and to be referred to another vet which does bone surgery as I do not have the intention to let Blackie do a bone surgery.

Blackie is on Osteocare for about 6 days. I was hoping it can cure her but she is still staying still without moving. She could not even drag her feet now. I doubt it is just the "bumblefoot" causing her discomfort as well as her legs (in the picture) were paralyzed.

I have brought her to 2 vets in 3 week and it was not helping much. The first vet prescribed meticam only while the second vet prescribed Meticam and Silvin Cream. I am not sure if I want to bring her for another vet visit as her condition is not improving. Only hopeful thing is that she is eating but prefers to be fed. She loves Critical care and bell peppers.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:39 pm

I am sorry to hear about your guinea pig, Blackie. I wonder if massage or water therapy (manipulating hind legs in warm water) might help.

Let me know if you'd like me to add your photo permanently to this thread for future readers. If you have any pics of the bumblefoot, that might help too. Is there any response from the hind legs? You are also encouraged to post any xrays if you have them.

Erinspigs

Post   » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:18 am

Have you been weighing Blackie? I know this sounds nuts, and I am probably nuts for even thinking it out loud so forgive me but is there any chance she has been with males? I'm sure the vets would have known if there was any chance. Just an out there thought. I guess I am curious if they can indeed become pregnant at "any" age

I know it would be highly unusual for her to have become pregnant but I have heard they can and do become pregnant at any age. Maybe just the angle of the photo. Her shape seems a tiny bit suspect, if she wan't 7 years old. I do hope she rallies, she has an adorable backside!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:40 am

I think Erinspigs is thinking of this pic of a pregnant guinea pig. Their bodies are also stressed and can lose calcium.

arisellaz

Post   » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:40 pm

Hi Erinspigs, the picture is not Blackie but her leg is somewhat similar to the guinea pig in the picture. She weighs around 700g. She is still eating and I still give her Critical Care. She is not able to move as yet. It seems like her 4 limbs have bumblefoot. The Vet prescribed her Silvin Cream and Chlorex.I am hoping she heals.

I have another guinea pig but she's female! Yes, I hope she rallie too! Thanks

arisellaz

Post   » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:44 pm

Hi Lynx,

I hope to take some pictures of Blackie soon and post it up here. Her bumblefoot seems to be improving a little though not as fast as I hope. Her appetite is still fine and I will be masssaging her hind legs to see if they improve.

I would like to get a wheelchair for her but it seems that her 4 limbs have bumblefoot so it seems unlikely to have a wheelchair done for her.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:41 pm

If you can take a couple crisp clear photos, you can send them to me to post:

arisellaz

Post   » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:10 pm

Hi I managed to find some photos of Blackie. She still cannotwalk though. Her appetite is great!

arisellaz

Post   » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:16 pm

This is how her bumblefoot looks like. The white cream is the Silvin cream prescribed by the Vet. I have used it on her 4 feet for about 3 weeks. They have not improved her bumblefoot condition considerably though, so now I am using Epsom Salt and Betadine on her feet instead.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:30 pm

Hi, arisellaz. You sent me these two pics and another one which I'll crop and put up.

Your guinea pig looks like it is in very serious condition. I wonder if there is an infection of the bone in the foot (this would be evident by xray). If so, bone infections are extremely difficult to clear up. I don't know what to say. Prognosis does not look good.