parasite passed through urethra?

MKay

Post   » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:22 am

Our local vets are not interested in treating an elderly guinea pig and out here we don't have a choice if vets, not that we can visit on an on going basis.
Is the reason you can't answer because you don't have knowlage on the suitability of rice for GP's?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:52 am

Rice is not something that would be found in a guinea pig's diet in the wild, and I suspect there's been no research on it. Peas are not generally recommended, because they're a "sweet" vegetable, and guinea pigs don't process sugar well.

My own feeling is that it probably wouldn't hurt, but whether it would help is unknown.

One friend of mine maintained the weight of her elderly guinea pig by feeding a dollop of Critical Care every day. There's some risk there, though, because CC is high in calcium, which may increase the risk of bladder stones. Her pig seemed to have a systemic resistance to stones, though, as he ate very high calcium foods all his life and never had a problem.

MKay

Post   » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:09 am

Thank for the reply, we have been using critical care mixed with steeped nuggets when we had to hand feed him. Now I am just using a couple of grams a day to give him his meds in (doxycycline and an ace inhibitor). As he is willingly eating his nuggets again now and maintaining his weight.

As the nuggets all contain soya hulls and soya oil it makes me wonder if a drop more soya meal would be the answer to boost his protein intake.(the nuggets are 17% and the hay is likely between 15-17%) just up to 19/20% whilst I get him upto 1050g.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:27 am

Please read over www.guinealynx.info/pellets.html too. Soy is not the best food for guinea pigs.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:29 pm

If this elderly pig went from 1100+ to 825 and you got him back to 970, you are doing a good job at getting him to consume more calories. Most pigs lose weight as they age, often significantly. Continuing to supplement with just Critical Care and see if he continues to gain or maintain.

Boar_experience

Post   » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:51 pm

My young one I have peed out something like that. Didn't seem to be in pain but it sure freaked me out until I compared it to worm pictures.

MKay

Post   » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:01 am

Soya seems to be ab integral part of all the GP foods available here, we use Burgess excel. Does anyone know what the oxbow pellet uses as it's protein?

Kimera

Post   » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:11 am

I think that what Lynx meant is that feeding additional soy or rice meal is not a good idea. Most commercial pellets are soy based. Commendable exception is KMS Hayloft pelleted food for guinea pigs, which is timothy grass based. It is only available in US. However, in Europe there are also JR Farm Grainless pellets. They don't contain any soy or grain, are mostly grass and herbs based. The protein and fat base is peas and faba beans.

MKay

Post   » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:35 am

Thank you