Jasmine's Medical Questions

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:05 pm

When you apply any cream of any sort to a guinea pig, you should apply a very thin layer and rub it in well with a q-tip. If you do it that way, they're not going to ingest much medicated cream at all.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:18 pm

Ditto bpatters. Use a thin thin layer. Coconut oil could help soften things so it comes off.

piggylover49

Post   » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:12 pm

Thanks! I will let you know how she's doing.

piggylover49

Post   » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:21 pm

Hi, I think Jasmine's toenail fell off. I noticed another cut on her foot and tried to get a picture of it (she is really squirmy, it is easier to set her down on a table and take a picture of her), and after looking at the picture I noticed her toenail looked like it fell off (the whole think not just the weird block). She does not seem to be in pain.

piggylover49

Post   » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:24 pm

The other picture is not recent, I took it a few weeks ago and wasn't looking at it closely, it could have fallen off a week ago.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:22 pm

It looks much healthier in this picture.

Kimera

Post   » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:02 am

If the whole nail has fallen off, I suspect it was damaged by fungal infection, just like some human toenails. Treatment is necessary, because any new nail will still be infected.

piggylover49

Post   » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:24 pm

Hi everyone! Jasmine has almost stopped coughing, I think it was because of the laundry detergent we used to use. Her cuts have healed, and we started her on some micatin anti-fungal cream. She We also noticed that our other gp, Pigsy, has some fungus-looking stuff on her feet, so we are also giving her some cream. Hopefully the fungus will go away soon. Thanks so much for your help!

Mosey

Post   » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:14 pm

chlorhexidine is a very good for killing bacteria and fungus. Most dental offices carry chlorhexidine mouth rinse. You certainly wouldn't want to drink it, but the little bit that would remain on her foot wouldn't be harmful to her if she licks her foot later. You could wet a cotton pad with it and hold it on the foot for as long as she will tolerate it. As well, if you want a totally natural laundry detergent you should check out soap nuts. You can purchase them on Amazon or your local organic grocery store. Hopefully everyone is better soon!

piggylover49

Post   » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:46 pm

I never heard of soap nuts, and I searched them online. They are so cool! Thanks for the suggestion! We will definitely try chlorhexidine if the anti-fungal cream doesn’t work.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:49 pm

Chlorhexidine comes in various solutions - some are cleaning solutions. If you go that route, make absolutely sure it is an oral mouth wash.

Kimera

Post   » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:53 am

Another excellent natural, gentle cleaning substance is soapwort. It was used in Europe before soap nuts were imported. Soapwort is recommended for washing face and hair, and also for washing most delicate fabrics like silk or wool. https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/produ ... ot/profile
Soapwort root pieces need to be boiled in water. This soapy brew is then used for washing or bathing.