Hello everyone, new piggy mom here...

Duffshuman

Post   » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:19 pm

My piggy's name is Duff, he's a 4 week old solid black male, cute little bugger, but I have never have had a guinea pig before and need all the help and info I can get. I have had him for 1 week now and he is in a large cage 40"x27" on my desk. I don't know if its because he is still so young but he uses the bathroom all over the place not just in one area. I have a dish in there with some litter and put some of his droppings and urine soaked bedding in it but he still goes all over. Any tips? I know we are still bonding and getting to know each other I hold him and talk to him every day, before work in the morning, when I get home and before bed any other ideas about what to do? Like I said I am very new at this and have ready everything I can find but it all just gets confusing after a while, a lot if the same info, a lot of do this not that and then some totally opposite stuff of what I just read so I need help.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:28 pm

Guinea pigs do indeed pee and poop everywhere. Some people set up a loose hay area where they can eat lots of hay. They will tend to pee and poop more in there and you will need to remove and replace the hay daily if you go that route.

If you want to learn lots about caring for your guinea pig, go read the guide. Come back with questions if there is something you don't understand.
www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html

WICharlie

Post   » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:12 pm

Welcome to GuineaLynx! You've come to the right place to find out how to take care of your new friend.

Guinea pigs cannot be litter trained and the kind of litter used in litter boxes is dangerous for them (they may try to eat it). So you may want to remove that immediately if that is what you are trying. You CAN used the litter box as a hay bin however. A layer of wood stove pellets under the hay will help to absorb urine. Oftentimes the pig will poo and pee more in the hay area than the rest of the cage just because the pig spends more time there (they need hay available at all times!).

The very first order of business is getting your pig into a cage with the appropriate sized living space. Check out guineapigcages.com toward that end.

CavyGirl04

Post   » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:05 pm

While it's impossible to completely litter train your pigs, I've had some limited success with getting them to go mostly in one area. I put a shallow box (I think the edge is about 2 inches tall or so - enough that they can easily jump over) in one corner by their hay thing on the side of the cage (the hay thing is off the ground; it is mounted on the side of the cage) and line it with cardboard and a thin layer of Carefresh bedding. Since they eat hay there, they usually pee and poop there, too, but even when they're not eating, I've seen them go in just to pee or poop. It's not perfect, but I'd estimate around 90% of stuff ends up in there, so it goes a long way towards keeping the cage clean. I swap them out (I have 2) or wash them 2-3x per week.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:24 pm

Welcome! Got pictures?

Duffshuman

Post   » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:24 am

Thank you all for the information. I noticed that most of the waste was at the hay area that explains a lot! I don't know how to post pictures, sorry.