Ice Cold Skinny Pig

Marbels123

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:09 pm

Hello!

I’m taking my pig (Marvin) to the vet this afternoon but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this.

I have two skinny pigs. One is warm, plump and happy. The other has deteriorated over the last couple of days. She’s not excited anymore and wasn’t super warm yesterday. Today she’s having trouble eating and is ice cold. I don’t have a weigh machine but she did look more thin over the past few days so I thought maybe she was being a picky eater and I gave her fruits and carrots to try and bulk her up but today she’s disinterested in all food. Has anyone experienced this before?

I’m hoping it’s an easy fix like her teeth need to be shaved but prepare me for the worst.

Marbels123

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:10 pm

I have her in a blanket on me right now to keep her warmer but she won’t even eat lettuce and when she tried to eat carrots this morning she coughed and coughed until the chunk of carrot back up.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:44 pm

She's ill, and I doubt it's teeth. I'm glad you've got a vet appointment.

You need a scale. It's the best investment you can make in your guinea pig's health, and you can get a good one for less than $15. Any significant weight loss is concerning, and needs to be addressed immediately. Also, if a pig isn't eating, it needs to be hand fed either Critical Care or a pellet slurry. Neither fruits nor carrots are recommended, and the fruit can actually make things worse if the problem is digestive. Guinea pigs were never engineered to process sugar well, and it can upset the bacterial balance in the gut.

Let us know what the vet says.

Marbels123

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:53 pm

I think you’re right. I made the slurry but she won’t eat it. Probably digestive then. I’ll know in an hour and a half. Will keep you guys updated.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:08 pm

Just as an FYI, don't give her a chance not to eat it. It's called force feeding for a reason, but it's the most important thing you can do for a guinea pig. A guinea pig that's not eating is a guinea pig that's dying.

See https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

Marbels123

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:20 pm

She’s eating a pepper thank the lord. I don’t think she’s ate or drank at all today but now she at least has some pepper in her! Pray for us guys I’m hoping she can pull through!! Will let you know what the vet says

Marbels123

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:25 pm

I’ll buy a syringe tonight depending on what the vet says! Thank you for your help!

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:46 pm

Ditto bpatters.  Keep her warm and keep the food going in.  If her friend will share a sleeping bag, the body heat will help out.  

Skinnies burn extra calories in the cold weather, so be sure to keep force feeding as much as possible.  I would aim to get as close to 10 cc as possible into her, several times per day.

That said, in my experience, once they go cold like that, it is usually the end for them.  I hope that's not the case and good luck at the vet.  Keep fighting for her and don't give up! 

Marbels123

Post   » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:20 pm

Vet said the same as you guys and gave me a syringe. Just gave her a bunch of slurry and am now monitoring her and her friend (with some veggies nearby). She’s having a lot of trouble walking but ate part of a pepper and lettuce leaf by herself so I’m still hopeful. Thanks for your help guys!

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:41 am

Good luck!  Be sure to get enough food into her.  Usually at least 60 cc daily. Divided into several smaller feedings, of course.

Marbels123

Post   » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:45 am

I’ve given her probably 45 cc since 2pm and she’s still going strong. When I just woke up she was eating some hard food with her friend by herself! She’s having such a hard time walking and sitting up though. Is that typical for piggies that might not have eaten for 12ish hours (I’m assuming that’s how long it took me to notice)? Other than walking she’s lukewarm feeling which is much better than yesterday.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:21 am

She probably had a blood sugar crash from not eating.  That's great news that you have been able to bring up her body temperature!  Keep up the hand feeding, even though she is eating on her own.  I'm guessing she's still weak.  Keep her warm, so she doesn't burn too many calories and keep up what you are doing!  Of course, you will need to get the underlying issue solved, because obviously something caused her to stop eating.  Did your vet have any ideas?