Jasmine's Medical Questions

piggylover49

Post   » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:30 pm

Thanks! I never knew there were so many natural soap options. Will definitely make sure it is an oral chlorhexidine if we use it.

piggylover49

Post   » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:38 am

The nicatin cream is not working as well as we like. It is helping the fungus, but not making all of it go way. We might try the chlorhexidine. One other question is do we actually really need to treat it? My gps don’t seem in pain, are there any bad long term effects of having fungus in their feet?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:33 pm

If it's looking better, that's good. Ask your vet what he/she thinks the next time you see them. Keep in mind the chlorhexidine is very drying. You must dilute it.

I don't know how much foot fungus would be acceptable. You don't want to find out later there is also a bacterial infection.

piggylover49

Post   » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:49 pm

Ok, thanks so much!

piggylover49

Post   » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:17 pm

I'm not sure if Pigsy has a UTI. This afternoon I was watching them play in their cage, and Pigsy went to the littler box to go to the bathroom, and I noticed her pee was a dark colored. I'm not sure if it's normal, it looks orange/pink. Do you think it's a blood/UTI or normal?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:25 pm

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:30 pm

Here you go. I kind of think this is not significant. Does not look like blood.

Kimera

Post   » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:29 am

Lots of foods change the color of piggie (and human) color and smell. The most obvious is beetroot.

piggylover49

Post   » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:08 pm

Here’s an update:

A couple weeks ago, Jasmine and Pigsy’s fungus started getting worse, and I looked for things that could be causing it. I realized that the micatin cream that we were giving them expired over a year ago! We bought some new cream called clotrimazole, and have been applying it to their paws once a day. We also have been spraying down the cage and pigloos with vinegar once a week because we heard it kills fungus.

After getting the new cream, their fungus had been getting better. However, they are not technically our pigs- a farm near us owns them, and needed a trustworthy person to watch them for the winter because the room they live in doesn’t have heat. We are giving them back to the farm soon, and I really want this infection to be gone before they go back. We got some chlorhexidine do we will be applying that in addition to the clotrimazole, and we hope that it well help the fungus go away faster.

A few questions:

How much do we dilute the chlorhexidine (we got dentahex, 0.12% Chlorhexidine)?

How long does usually take for a fungal infection to go away?

Thanks so much everyone for your help! :-)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:35 pm

Look over www.guinealynx.info/antiseptic_solutions.html and www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html if you have not.

Be careful with the Epsom salts.

I wish I could tell you how long it would take to get rid of the fungus but I don't know.

piggylover49

Post   » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:53 pm

Sorry, I couldn’t find that article on chlorhexidine! Thanks so much for it.

Wow, it is much harder than I imagined to get them to soak their feet! We actually got a different brand (it is an oral one), and it is really sweet, so all they are interested in going is trying to drink it!

Also, the piggies are going back to the farm on Saturday :,( I’m hoping that someone will be able to treat their fungus there, since I only visit once a week because it is 25 mins away from me.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:09 pm

An upside down bottle cap makes a good piggy foot bath.