Post   » Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:00 pm

OHIO
Barberton; Norton

Barberton Veterinary Clinic
4873 Richland Avenue
Norton, Ohio 44230
(330) 825-2434
http://www.exoticpetvets.com/

I recomend Dr. Faust, great with the pigs and people =) He's done two neuters for me as well as other things like treatment for abcesses, URI's, ear infection, bladder infection, and Little Pigs bone and joint problems. I had a couple slight problems early on, one was giving me frontline spray for lice, and I wasn't seeing results with the ivermectin injections after 2 but he did check over the GL information and said that he would be ok with my treating the pigs at home to save cost.

Sandytrat

Post   » Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:17 pm

OHIO
Columbus

Animal Care Unlimited.
http://www.animalcareunlimited.com/
2665 Billingsley Rd. Columbus, Ohio 43235
Phone: (614)766-2317
Fax: (614)766-4508
Hours: Monday -Thursday 7AM - 8PM
Fridays 7AM - 6PM
Saturdays 7AM - 2PM

These folks treat pets of all types. I've seen pet skunks, geese and turtles in their waiting room.

Check out their guinea pig page:
http://www.animalcareunlimited.com/guinea_pigs.htm

They also have 24hr emergency care for established clients.
Dr Burton came out at 2:30 am and saved my pet rat Mac from choking to death.

They also run the non-profit Ohio Wildlife Center
http://www.ohiowildlifecenter.org/
For orphaned and injured wildlife in Central Ohio.
Be sure to give a donation if you take in an animal.

Etta Mae
Lynx's Favorite

Post   » Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:51 pm

GEORGIA
Roswell

In the metro Atlanta are:

Dr. Susan Leck Diplomate ABVP
Mountain Park Plaza Animal Hospital
4708 Woodstock Rd.
Roswell, GA

770-587-4800

Luckily I've never needed her pig services, but she has successfully neutered an spayed several pigs (that I've actually wintessed), taken out stones, tumors on rats, etc.

That's just what I KNOW she's done. She is gifted and capable.

Red Blur
Chocolate Giver

Post   » Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:05 pm

ARIZONA - MESA, TEMPE, EAST VALLEY:

Dr. Richard Funk
Mesa Veterinary Hospital
858 N. Country Club Rd.
Mesa, AZ 85201
(480) 833-7330
www.mesavet.com

Very experienced in treatment and surgery of Guinea Pigs, Ferrets, etc. An amazing vet and well known here for his knowledge and experience.

Dr. Jay Johnson
University Animal Hospital
2500 S. Hardy Dr.
Tempe, AZ 85282
(480) 968-9275
www.universityvet.com

Experienced in treatment of all kinds of "exotic" small animals. Experienced in neutering guinea pigs.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:33 am

MINNESOTA
Minneapolis/St. Paul

Below are some Twin Cities vets that specialize in exotics, and are experienced/knowledgeable with guinea pigs:

South Hyland Pet Hospital, Bloomington MN 952/884-1868
Dr. Vicki Schulz

Como Park Bird and Animal Hospital, St. Paul MN 651-487-3255
Dr. Wetherill owns the clinic. He is very good. I've heard it is difficult to get an appointment with Dr. Wetherill now, but other vets at this clinic are also treating guinea pigs.

Cedar Pet Clinic, Minneapolis MN 612-721-7431 or Lake Elmo 651-770-3250
Dr. Baillie used to own the original clinic in Minneapolis and do most of the exotic work. I believe he now has other vets on staff that also see guinea pigs.

Camden Pet Hospital, Camden (Minneapolis I think), MN 612-522-4374
Dr. Cynthia Fetzer

Southview Animal Hospital, Inver Grove Heights, MN
651-455-2258
Until October 2001, Dr. John Newman owned this clinic and handled most of the exotics cases. He has since sold the clinic and retired. I have heard the vet that now owns the clinic also sees exotics such as guinea pigs, and some of the other vets on staff do as well.

Elm Creek Animal Hospital, Champlin MN 763-427-5150
Dr. Lori Pfeifer and Dr. Brett Duke

Vicki - Jack Pine Guinea Pig Rescue, MN
www.JPGPR.com
(2003-Our 10th Anniversary in Rescue)
Last edited by Lynx on Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

christina

Post   » Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:27 pm

CALIFORNIA
South Bay L.A.

Animal Medical Group
1401 Sepulveda Blvd
Manhattan Beach, CA
310-322-6506

This clinic was just mentioned by CP as just getting an exotics vet.

Dr. Ken Lyon is the dental vet there. He is excellent! He comes into the clinic from his practice in Arizona two weekends a month (Fridays and Saturdays). He has treated my piggie for malocclusion for two months now. He was a mentor to my previous dental vet, Dr. Legendre in Vancouver, Canada. I recommend him highly.

pax
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:26 pm

NEW YORK
Long Island

Dr. Monaco
Old COuntry Animal Clinic
669 Old Country Road
Plainview
516 938-7218
This man is wonderful with pigs, birds, prairie dogs and reptiles. He treated Kirby for mites, URI and does a thorough well piggie check up. He carries Oxbow products and advocates use of CareFresh, fresh timothy hay and lots of attention! At the slightest sign of sickness, your pig will be seen. He knows how fast they can become gravely ill. An added bonus is he takes in animals to board when you go on vacation. I would feel very comfortable leaving my pig with him. His office staff is very helpful.

Wheek Times 3

Post   » Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:25 pm

NEW YORK -- Sufolk County, Long Island

1) Dr. Brian S. Rose, D.V.M
Dr. Jeffrey S. Rose, D.V.m
Jefferson Animal Hospital
606 Route 112
Port Jefferson, NY
(631) 473-0415

They were recommended to me when I was searching for a new vet. I've been there a couple of times so far. I've met both doctors and they both seem very knowledgeable about cavies. Their staff is extremely nice and helpful. The only bad thing is that they prefer to do anything, except for the initial exam, in a separate room. I had not requested to be allowed to go with him so I don't know if they are flexible with that.

2) Dr. Robin Robbins
Farmingville Animal Hospital
840 Horseblock Road
Farmingville, NY 11738
(631) 698-8000

I initially went there because the place is a 5 minute drive from where I live. They were wonderful with my cat. When I found out they treat cavies, I was thrilled. However, there is only one vet there that treats cavies (the one listed above) and she doesn't have weekend or late evening hours.

When Miss Piggy had an eye infection, she did a wonderful job in treating her. However, she's not nearly as knowledgeable as the other vets recommended above. She also is too quick to put them on antibiotics. When I called her about a scab on Miss Piggy's back, she did not have any hours for a few days due to the fact that is was already Friday and that Monday was Labor Day. She advised that I use the antibiotics that I had used for the eye infection a month prior. Prescribing antibiotics over the phone without an exam made me nervous. I needed to find another vet as I could not wait several days for my Miss Piggy to be looked at and decided that I probably won't go back to her with my piggies anymore if I could find a better vet, even if the drive is much longer (which I did).

PS - Miss Piggy LOVES this vet. She is a much better patient with Dr. Robbins for some reason. Maybe it's a female thing...I don't know.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:09 am

COLORADO - Aurora, Parker, Littleton/Englewood

[wheeky8 offered this information on another thread]

Smoky Hill Veterinary Clinic
Dr. Esposito D.V.M.
15600 E Smoky Hill Rd
Aurora, CO
(303) 693-2020

Notes: Affordable neuters. Main vet for Cavy Care Inc. in Aurora. Excellent references.
May be worth the long drivefrom CO. Springs

Animal Emergency & Urgent Care of Parker
10417 S. Parker Rd.
Parker, CO 80134
Phone: 720-842-5050
Fax: 720-842-5060

24 hour clinic
Backup for Dr. Esposito at Smoky Hill
Closer to CO Springs, may be a viable option

Homestead Animal Hospital
Dr. Jerry LaBonde D.V.M.
6900 S. Holly Circle
Englewood, CO 80112
303-771-7350
303-290-8233

Notes: Experienced exotics surgeon.

Ciaytee
Almost Inbred

Post   » Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:29 pm

TEXAS
Houston

Inner Loop area

Dr. Natalie Antinoff, DVM
Gulf Coast Avian and Exotics
1111 West Loop South
Houston, TX 77027
713-693-1111

I was referred to her by my (previous) primary vet when St.John had a bladder stone. She is considered by vets to be one of (if not the) best cavy vets in the greater Houston area. But be forewarned. Gulf Coast is a large animal hospital with the latest equipment/procedures, and their prices reflect that. They charge about twice as much for basic procedures, and surgeries will run you 3-4 times as much. However, they do have dedicated anesthesiologists and animal nurses who stay with your pet through recovery. If you can afford them, you can rest assured that your pig will be in very good hands.

-------------------------------------

Northeast Houston area

Dr. Christopher Monarski, DVM
Dr. Beverly Wilkinson, DVM
Animal Hospital of New Caney
20334 US Hwy 59
New Caney, TX 77357
281-399-9977

They have become my new primary vets. I haven't yet had to really test their skills, but my previous experiences with them (checkups and a tooth extraction) lead me to believe they are quite knowledgeable about cavies and can be trusted. I would go to them with a serious problem as quickly as I would go to Gulf Coast.

They and their staff are very open and caring when dealing with the patients and owners, and their prices are quite reasonable.

rachmcg13

Post   » Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:49 pm

INDIANA -- Lafayette

Dr. Julie Becker, DVM
Tippecanoe County Animal Hospital
3818 SR 38E
Lafayette, IN 47905
765-447-5088

Dr. Alexander Wolf, DVM
Avian & Exotic Animal Clinic
415 N. Earl Ave.
Lafayette, IN 47904
765-446-1816

I have personal experience with both. My primary vet is Dr. Becker. I did have an emergency and was sent to Dr. Wolf. Both have done numerous surgeries on guinea pigs (stone removals and neuters). Dr. Becker also takes in sick/injured/unwanted guinea pigs. If anyone in the Lafayette area would like to adopt a healthy guinea pig, please contact her.

deborah
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:38 am

LONDON - South

Anne Taylor BVetMed MRCVS
O'Meara Veterinary Surgeries at:

North Lodge
150 Kingston Road
Ewell
Surrey
KT17 2ET
Tel: 020 8393 6049

6 Tattenham Crescent
Epsom Downs
Surrey
KT18 5QG
tel: 01737 359929

438 Hook Road
Chessington
SurreyKT9 1NA
tel: 020 8397 1776

170a High Street
Banstead
Surrey
SM7 2NZ
tel: 01737 210011

Anne is particularly interested in the treatment of guinea pigs and will examine/clip molars without anaesthetic.

CAMBRIDGE

Cambridge Cavy Trust
Leewood Business Park
Upton
Huntingdon
Cambs
PE28 5YQ
tel: 01406 350571

This is a registered charity and it costs £20 a year to join. They did, however, offer me telephone advice and an appointment for an emergency before I joined. Members have 24 emergency contact (text Vedra 07721 026401 - she will call you or tell you to call her back and she will pick up). They will also give non-members the name and address of the nearest Cavy experienced vet, or rodentologist to you.