Jasmine's Medical Questions

piggylover49

Post   » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:15 pm

Great idea! Thanks so much! Will definitely try that tomorrow.

piggylover49

Post   » Sun May 20, 2018 8:19 pm

Hi everyone! I haven't posted in a while, I need help on a situation with the piggies.Sorry my post is kinda long!

First of all, before I explain my situation, I want you to understand although I am part of a 4H club, I am NOT trying to raise support for 4H by posting this. I understand that many 4H clubs support breeding and using animals for meat- my 4H club does not. Our animals have the best lives we can give them, and we always put their happiness before our own wants. They are not sold or used as A "4H project". And just to clarify, my guinea pigs are not currently involved in 4H at all, they were not my "4H project". I understand people have different opinions on 4H, and I respect that.

So, we all go to a 4H show in August, where we present our animals from the farm. We show our farm animal (I have a chicken named Maple, chickens rock! :>), and we have the option to show another animal not at the farm- including guinea pigs. I have talked to Jasmine and Pigsy's current caretaker, she says that I should do some research on the topic and get back to her. She said that she would trust me with them for a few hours during the show. The thing is, I'm worried about bring them. I know someone that will teach me all the moves- if I plan on doing it- but I'm nervous that they will catch something from the other pigs there, or get too stressed out. Do you have an opinion or tips?

Also, I don't know if they can be shown with fungus on their feet. Their caretaker says she continued their chlorhexidine treatment for a little over a week after I gave them back, and that she couldn't keep up with it. She's really busy, she owns a large farm. They now have quite a bit of fungus on their feet. I don't know if I will get points taken off because of their fungus, or if it's even fair to take them to a show where they could give the other pigs fungus. I talked to her about possibly doing something like a pill, like Program, instead, if that would take less time. She didn't give me a definite answer, she said she might be able to. I'm not worried about their fungus for the show, I'm also very worried because many small children and tons of visitors come to the farm every day. I'm worried about them getting sick. And also, she doesn't take them for yearly vet visits, so I don't have a vet to discuss this with. Do you think Program would be worth it? Is it a hassle getting them to eat it?

FYI, she takes very good care of them. She has them in a 2 x 4 c&c cage, and feeds them oxbow, timothy hay, and personally grows fresh veggies to give to them daily. We both have worked very hard to give them the best care possible.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun May 20, 2018 10:46 pm

Can you get a crisp clear photo of the foot fungus you are talking about? You can email it to me:

If there is a foot fungus, sounds like showing them would be a bad idea.
p.s. I was a 4H-er years ago.

piggylover49

Post   » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:37 pm

Hey, all! Sorry I never uploaded the pictures. I don't have a picture- we gave them back to the farm, so we don't see them very often. I'm pretty sure it's fungus- it looks like what was under Jasmine's toenail, if you look back in the thread you can see it, but it's on the edge of their foot pad, and it's also under Jasmine's nail. It doesn't seem to cause them any pain, and we both tried to treat it for many months, and it didn't do away. we think it might just be humid air or something in the cage, and we're not too worried about it anymore. I pretty sure I'm not going to show them.

Anyway, that wasn't the main thing I am worried about. Today I walked into the farm store and saw the piggy cage. They were almost out of water, and in there water there was black stuff (poop? mold?). I learned that the person who normally takes care of them is on vacation. It surprised me that they were like this because their owner takes very good are of them (4 by 2 c&c cage, oxbow, daily veggies, etc). After that, I weighed them. I don't usually weigh them, the second to last time I did was right before we gave them up, when Jasmine was about 1200g and Pigsy was about 1000g. The last time I weighed them, I think that Jasmine was around 1000g and Pigsy was around 900g. I just weighed them today. Jasmine was 868g and Pigsy was 970g. Also, Jasmine has always been heavier than Pigsy. I don't know if losing a little under 200g in 2 months is worrisome- she was eating lettuce and carrots when I was there, and had clear eyes, no running nose, no wheezing. She seemed totally normal. Also, she seemed the same size, not boney or any less fat as she was before, she has always been a little chubby and still is.

I talked to a reliable person who said they would weigh her and keep an eye on her, however she doesn't know very much about guinea pigs, and only goes to the farm on Saturday and Sunday. I usually go once a week but am going to sleep away camp so I won't be able to help her. My parents thought that it might be because they might be feeding her less, but then Pigsy would be very light too. This might all be because Jasmine didn't want to drink the dirty water and was severely dehydrated, I'm not really sure but I got a new water bottle and filled it up.

I'm sure what I should do- she's acting normal, and still eating. If I still had her, I would take her to the vet, except she's not my guinea pig, and her owner is on vacation. I also have no idea about what could be causing this weight loss, I'm worried that it's a medical condition or sickness because Pigsy hasn't lost a lot of weight like Jasmine has. Ideas? Opinions?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:21 pm

That is a significant amount of weight loss. Could you volunteer to care for them for a while so you can weigh daily, watch behavior, give good food and determine if there is a problem?

piggylover49

Post   » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:28 pm

No, unfortunately that's not possible because I live about 20 minutes away and I'm a teen who can't drive there myself. Also I'm going to sleep away camp in a week so I probably won't see them for another 3 weeks.

piggylover49

Post   » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:55 pm

Some other info that could be useful: Jasmine is 2 years old, and she has no other known medical conditions besides foot fungus, and she is VERY pear-shaped so it's hard to tell is she's too skinny or too chubby! Like you can feel her ribs if you press down but she looks very fat because her back end is very wide! And no she is not pregnant because she has not been around male piggies as for a long time (years).

piggylover49

Post   » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:24 pm

Oops! Just realized I made a mistake in my typing ! She was not 1200g to start with, she was 1020g to start with! Sorry for any confusion!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:36 pm

That is better.

She may have ovarian cysts if she is pear shaped and not pregnant.

piggylover49

Post   » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:10 pm

Thanks so much for your help! I was also wondering if you know if ovarian cysts can cause weight loss? I looked at the page on ovarian cysts and some other websites, she doesn’t have the other symptoms of hair loss, and I don’t know about mood change because I’m not living with her anymore. However, I think it’s likely she has them based on how common ovarian cysts are in guinea pigs. Should I try and get her to a vet? Are ovarian cysts an emergency? Also she’s been pear shaped like this for as long as I have known her so for at least 8 months.

Lynx- can I send you a picture of her and how pear shaped she is so you can add it the this thread?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:36 pm

No, ovarian cysts are not usually an emergency. They can be associated with weight loss. Often there is a redistribution of weight to the abdomen. If your picture is clear and crisp, you can send it to me. Add your board name and a link to this post:

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:28 am

Here are the two photos you sent. The top one is the guinea pig you are worried about. The bottom one is another of your guinea pigs. My first impression is that your top pig looks fine.

Please read closely the guidelines for determining a good weight on this page and examine each of your guinea pigs. Let us know your results.
weigh.html