Guinea pig losing fur and messy bottom

amyfw

Post   » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:01 pm

Please help me with medical concerns regarding my piggies. First know, I have been to the vet several times over these issues and am on a waiting list to get into Cornell for diagnostics and treatment of whatever may be going on. I am in constant contact with my vet and trying many at home treatment options.

Here we go- Butterscotch is a 4 year old female (intact) rescue. She and her son (neutered) share a 2x4 cage with fleece lining.

In July of last year we had a flood so the piggies are now in my bedroom which is dryer than they are used to but it is the safest place for them at this time while we work on rebuilding.

In January of this year, she went in for her usual physical. The vet found dandruff in her fur and a very abnormally low heart rate of only 140 beats under extreme stress. Vet suspected hypothyroid but I guess piggies don't get hypo. Vet tried to get blood but was unable to get a large enough sample so she could only look at it under a microscope. Everything seemed ok. Red blood cells and white blood cells looked normal but not a big enough sample to check for anything.

To handle the dry skin I upped the vitamin c with both bit c tabs and daily veggies containing high vitamin c content.

She has gone back several times for a heart check. Also had X-rays done. No obvious enlargement. Consulted with Cornell and was told to just watch her. Not given meds because her rate is too low, not high and she has no signs of fluid on her lungs.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago- her fur looks much worse (self barbering) and she had a messy bottom covered in matted urine. Took her ASAP to vet. Vet found further symmetrical hair loss on her belly and back legs. Suspected Cushings Disease. Also possibly felt tumor on kidney but then thought maybe it was not. Can not test for anything at that office and was referred to Cornell but Cornell has a several months long waiting list. Also, there is a concern that her heart can not take the sedation needed for most testing.

Now- fur continues to look worse, bottom messy again. I am bathing weekly in a warm water rise, sometimes with Castile soap. She is lethargic but this so close to her nature and probably caused by low heart rate.

In contact with vet daily asking about possibly treating for UTI (due to messy bottom) or mites (due to itching and hair loss) but what I really want is to help her feel better. I have been told by Cornell that there is nothing they can do for her heart but I feel as though her lo heart rate might be causing the scessive lethargy leading to urinating on herself and not cleaning herself? Concerned this has only been going on for two weeks though, if it had been a long term habit of hers I would not be as worried but the sudden onset concerns me.

More details- Butterscotch is overweight. I try cutting down on pellets and only feeding hay and fresh veggies (no fruit) but she still is overweight. Very lethargic, I can't get her to move around and get excercise at all even though I try.

I had added a humidifier to the room to help with dry skin if that is the reason for scratching and barbering hair. Began skin and fur supplement by oxbow. Spot clean cage daily and full clean weekly (on flexed bedding)

I did notice that her son began to fight and bully her 2 weeks ago after the vet appointment and that she is not allowed in their hut anymore to sleep. I am working on a solution for this. Still does not explain the messy urine soaked bottom though.

No signs of diarrhea, No signs of blood in urine. Good appetite. Bright eyes. Normal water consumption. Just very lethargic and messy, scratching and itchy fur, and low heart rate.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:25 pm

Have you looked into the parasite page or even considered it to be a digestive deficiency?

kailaeve1271

Post   » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:26 pm

I’d inquire with your vet about testing for these

amyfw

Post   » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:31 pm

Kailaeve- interesting thought about the digestive issue. You know, I did wonder about that when I began upping her vitamin c intake because she really was getting enough before hand but it occurred to me that maybe she was not absorbing it or digesting it. Vet has never mentioned anything ,Ike this but I will bring it up and see what they say. Thanks!

amyfw

Post   » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:33 pm

UPDATE- since this posting earlier today I got my vet to recontact Cornell and push for help. Cornell called and are trying to get her in for an appointment next week. What should I make sure they look for? I am thinking heart condition and possibly metabolic disease? I am hoping for blood work, a heart ultrasound or X-ray, and an abdominal ultrasound or X-ray but again, these may be limited by her heart condition. What other tests or diagnosis should I be looking for?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:38 pm

Why do you think she's overweight? What is her actual weight?

Bullying by the other pig can be a sign that something is wrong with her. Pigs can usually tell when another pig is in distress, and may follow/sniff/mount/whatever the sick one.

Upping the vitamin C is a good idea. Natural vitamin C from veggies is generally preferred, but it wouldn't hurt to give her 50 mg a day or so for a week and see if that helps anything.

And I'd treat her for mites -- you don't need the vet for that. See https://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin_topical.html

Was she x-rayed for a bladder stone?

kailaeve1271

Post   » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:48 pm

I’d consider dropping the pellets if your sure she’s overweight. How many veggies are you feeding her daily and which ones? I’d also considering taking a poop or two, even if you find it gross, to see if your vet wants to test or look at it.

amyfw

Post   » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:47 pm

She was X rayed but to check for her heart. I am going to see if they can get imaging of her abdomen and will have them look for stones and the usual superstar (i.e. Cysts on ovaries, etc) they suspect there is an internal tumor near her kidneys. Hoping they are wrong. Could be cushings possible as well.

I give her leafy greens (no iceberg) like red leaf lettuce, romaine, green leaf, mesclun mix, mustard daily along with parsley, cilantro, peppers (usually red or yellow but sometimes green) and an extra vitamin c tab by oxbow.

Her. Et saw she is overweight. She has been since I rescued her 3 years ago. I don't know her exact weight but it's over 3 pounds. Also, she almost never moves (due to the heart problem?) so that does not help. She's very fat, it's not really muscle.

Yes, I asked the vet last week about treating for mites and the vet agreed today to put her on meds (revolution maybe ?) to rule that out.

Her neutered son bullies her. He always has but after the last vet trip 2 weeks ago it got even worse. He went along too for a nail trim and I think he takes it out on her. Any way to calm him down? He's neutered but nips her and sort of pushes her away from things. Not food, just her favorite hut or lounging lad.

Any thing else to watch out for?

I am worried the news is going to be very bad since we have gone to the vet many times and she does t think it's vitamin c deficiency or mites and instead thinks it is a serious heart problem and cushings. Not a great prognosis with either of those things.

amyfw

Post   » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:47 pm

*her vet said she is overweight. Sorry. Can't seem to find an edit button. I am new to posting.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:49 pm

Floor time can help with exercise. Also the bullying sounds like normal guinea pig dominance to me but keep an eye out. Also males do generally need a larger cage so a 2x3 c and c may be too small if that’s what you have.

Please keep in mind Romiane lettuce, mustard green, parsley and cilantro are all known to cause calcium deposits or lead to stones when given daily. Colorful peppers don’t have as much vitamin c as green ones do (little difference but if your aiming for more vitamin c it may help).

amyfw

Post   » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:08 pm

I have tried floor excercise. She just sits like a blob. I guess that could be the heart? For example, I took her out this morning and she never moved. I am working on having a laundry room built and when it is done I plan to make it a piggie mansion and double her cage (I already have all the supplies set to go) but now I am afraid she won't make it long enough to enjoy her new cage. I thought it would help by giving her more room to move around and by getting her son to leave her alone a little bit.

I was giving colored peppers because I thought I heard they had more vitamin c. Green peppers are soooo much cheaper where I am so I will be thrilled if green turn out to be higher in vitamin c.

Also, good news- she is going in to Cornell Monday morning at 9:00 am. They said this does sound like a very serious issue. They are prepared to do an exam, X-rays, blood work and even an ultrasound right then if needed. I am terrified that it is as bad as they are concerned about (the tumor the vet thinks she feels on her kidney was not there a month ago which would aggressive cancer) but I am so glad we will have answers soon. Her main vet kept saying anything that could be done could risk her life because of her heart and also did not want to treat for anything (UTI etc) without clear confirmation because that could be harmful but Cornell seems convinced that they can at least get clearer answers without putting her life at risk.

Thanks everyone, please keep the suggestions coming. I want to help her as best I can regardless of her prognosis.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:08 pm

I'm very glad you got an appointment at Cornell. Please do keep us posted on how she's doing, and what the results of the appointment are.