Dust Bunny's (Dusty's) Medical Thread

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:40 am

Dusty has finally received the all-clear from Dr. K. To prevent re-infection (housed with Fuzz who is still actively fighting the crud), I'm to continue the Miconazole lotion twice a week.

She's so cute. She keeps trying to "drive" the dust pan when I clean up their floor. She's not so cute when she tries to "drive" my fingers!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:29 pm

This is good news too!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:42 am

Took Dusty to see Dr. K. yesterday. Dusty has been drinking a lot of water lately - A LOT of water! Naturally my first worries were thyroid or diabetes. Dr. K. told me that while neither is impossible, in such a young pig (8 months old) those weren't the first real suspects to look at; so she checked her for a bladder infection. I've seen a couple of *possible* blood spots, but I wasn't sure that they weren't tomato juice, so I just watched. However when Dusty spent almost the whole day at the water bottle and didn't soak the fleece, I knew something was up. I have been finding a lot urine soaked spots on the blankets, but was blaming them on Fuzz. When Dr. K took a urine sample, she found blood, bacteria, and something else of which I can't remember. It should come to me. After I'm through posting this, of course. It wasn't sludge or crystals.

Bladder infection: ABX Baytril 10mg/ml, given 0.27 ml by mouth twice a day for 14 days.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:06 am

Oh, and Dr. K. said to give her the probiotic 1 hour before medication. Is that right?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:17 pm

That should work.

Hope she heals up! You are so observant -- it makes a real difference!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:18 am

Dusty has been on Baytril for a little over 24 hours. Still drinking excessively sometimes. I'm not sure who it is, her or Fuzzbutt, but someone is producing very messy poops. Some of them are so moist they are shiny and not really formed, more like long soft "noodles". I've put Fuzz back on Bio-Sponge but if it's her, her poops are worse than when I started it a couple of days ago.

It's hard to tell who is producing these poops, but I need to figure it out so I can know if Dusty is proving intolerant to the Baytril. So far she's still eating fine (someone is completely cleaning all three bowls!), still drinking. Unlike Scatter who almost immediately quit both, but I didn't realize it until he could no longer stand up by himself. I won't let Dusty go that long! I guess I need to box off one end of the cage so I know who the culprit is.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:52 am

I hope you get to the bottom of this!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:53 am

So, naturally, no one produced the runny poops last night. I'm very happy about that. I haven't checked for anything that smears. :o(

Don't know if I'm getting enough Bene-Bac down her, but she seems to be acting normal. Even a little less water drinking. I'm going to take that as a good sign.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:31 am

We all have paws crossed here and hope things continue to improve for you and your piggies! Keep up the good work! Your piggies are very lucky to have you as a caring piggy slave! Sending good vibes your way!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:14 pm

Dusty had another urinalysis the other day. No bacteria in her urine, and the little blood the vet found, she thinks was caused by going through a vein when taking the sample. There was tiny bit of glucose in the urine so I just have to watch for excess water intake.

The good news is no more Baytril and only a few days left for the Bene-Bac. If she could understand, I'm sure she'd be thrilled spitless!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:05 pm

Having a happy guinea pig is a good thing! (I hope happy along with free of a UTI)