Mystery eye issue! Ginger's Thread

squeaky3

Post   » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:59 pm

He said he’d never seen an eye like that and was surprised to see it was hard as stone when he took it out, he doesn’t know what caused it to go like that. Yes please do make the pictures a permanent addition.

Today, Ginger is eating and drinking on her own. She doesn’t seem to be in pain but I gave her pain meds anyway as she has a large incision. She is almost back to herself, although not really eating much pellet food. Lots of hay and veggies, I topped her up with some soaked pellets and a bit of critical care which she enjoyed, so there must be a little pain if she doesnt want to crunch down on hard food yet. She had a few pellets,,but would normally finish her bowl. Although her food of choice is hay and she had plenty of that, she might just be full of hay and veggies.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:01 pm

Thanks for the pics. I used the "hide" feature so people can click on the word "hide" to view the eye picture (un-hide it). That it was "hard as stone" is so unusual. Sometimes there is calcification of parts of the body. Perhaps that is the issue.

What instructions did your vet give you? I imagine you are weighing her daily to make sure she is eating alright.

squeaky3

Post   » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:13 pm

He gave me pain meds and said let him know tomorrow how she is doing. I've known Amir for quite a few years now, so he knows I can handle surgical wounds. Her weight has been stable since Sunday and she is eating and drinking well today and has eaten all her pellets and veg and lots of hay (she loves hay so I have several different kinds). She weighs around 1030g.

I have kept her separate from her cage mate as I do not want anyone or anything to directly touch the wound until it is sealed, and I know Jemima may lick it or grab hold of the stitches. Ginger has left it alone so far and there is only evidence of normal washing. They may have some floor time tomorrow as the wound should be sealed now. Jemima is quite bossy and seems to have enjoyed having the main cage, hidey (and food) all to herself, so I will take re-introduction slowly. Ginger has also enjoyed having her own hidey all to herself, unfortunately I can't fit two in their cage so they have to share!!

I have kept the pain meds on today just to keep any swelling under control but there is none to speak of and the wound looks dry and she appears comfortable. I'll keep it going for the 4 days they said to give it to her. It's Metacam.

Pees and poops are normal and regular and she is almost back to her old self today.

As for where it came from, I initially thought after it was removed that it could not have been a 'tumor' as I thought tumors were soft tissue, but even retinoblastoma can be formed from calcium, so it still could have been that. Unless I get it analysed I will probably never know however so it's just a theory.

squeaky3

Post   » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:51 pm

Surgical Wound Day 2 - 48 hours after surgery

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:11 pm

Looking good so far!

squeaky3

Post   » Sat May 26, 2018 4:07 am

A quick update on Ginger's eye. I had intended to take photos every day, but it was healing so well, that kind of fell by the wayside after about a week! Here is one from day 7 and then some from day 28. As you can see, the stitches have dissolved and the fur is growing back now. Ginger seems happy, and although her bad eye didn't seem to bother her before, she seems better without having to deal with it any more. There have been no issues at all with her wound, it has healed perfectly!!

Surgical wound - Day 7

Surgical wound - Day 28

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 26, 2018 7:46 am

This is wonderful news! I imagine you will keep in mind to still "keep an eye" on the area in case there are any changes. But it seems this was a completely successful enucleation!

Thanks so much for the update!