Colloidal silver in paper bedding?

madkatherine

Post   » Thu May 03, 2018 6:24 am

If only you knew how hard it is to find appropriate and safe bedding for small pets here in Lithuania! There are tons of pine and/or scented wood shavings, one type of Carefresh (small bag), and a few times I managed to find beech shavings (for reptiles)! So, I have to order aspen bedding in large quantities from another country, which is not really cheap, of course :)
But! I found that one place here sells Asan Pet Silver paper bedding that I have never heard about (http://www.munchkinpets.com/asan-pet-silver/). It is way more affordable and seems rather safe. However, it says that it contains colloidal silver which I'm a bit conscious about. I read that it is safe and used for medical treatments, but I'm not sure about having it in the bedding... 24/7
What are your thoughts, guys? Thank you for your help!

kailaeve1271

Post   » Thu May 03, 2018 7:44 am

I wouldn’t use anything with silver in it for my pigs. Especially if they could ingest it. I imagine it says used for medical treatments as in implants or staples. Silver can’t be digested and I imagine it could harm them

I personally use fleece liners with two litter boxes full of Carefresh

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Thu May 03, 2018 9:08 am

Colloidal silver has no proven usage, can cause some health issues, and can interact with some medications. I would not use that bedding.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Thu May 03, 2018 9:27 am

Thanks pigjes! I couldn’t find anything myself but it didn’t sound safe at all to me.

If your having to ship bedding in why not try a 60 L bag of Carefresh for $20 or 178 L of Small Pet Select for $40. Both are on Amazon with free shipping if you have prime and provide quite a bit of safe bedding. I’d you are trying to really save money and haven’t switched to fleece yet I’d do it. Spend about $100 on a couple of sets and don’t have to replace them for a good 2 years. Less mess, cheaper and happier pigs :) you can also make your own if you have a custom cage. That’s how I ended up with my first set

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu May 03, 2018 10:28 am

Shipping to Lithuania is guaranteed NOT to be free.

Madkatherine, is there any possibility of finding horse stall bedding there? That's what I use for bedding. Here, most of it does not have a strong pine odor, but if you can find it there, you'd need to check it before buying.

madkatherine

Post   » Thu May 03, 2018 10:56 am

Thanks, guys! This didn't sound safe to me either. I was really puzzled by the fact the company even made such a choice o.O

Amazon shipping to LT is indeed often rather expensive or even not possible (especially if we speak about large quantities). And in general it's nice to have something available nearby :)

I tried to find horse stall bedding here, but it was always made from pine wood (don't want to risk even if it's kiln dried) and somehow turned out to be even more expensive than ordering my current bedding from Estonia.

I tried switching to fleece, but it didn't really work out. I don't know, for me it's just way more complicated, messy. And smelly. Maybe I'm doing something wrong haha However I use it during the weekends when I attach a playpen (fence) to the cage (so that shavings won't stick to fleece). But I'm not ready to use it all the time. At least now :)

I love my piggies and will spend whatever is needed and even more on proving safe environment for them, don't get me wrong, it's not only about saving money :)

Thank you all for your comments and advice! Highly appreciated!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu May 03, 2018 3:08 pm

With pine, the primary issue has been outgassing. It goes a long way toward making pine acceptable if you let it thoroughly air out for as long as you can. Eventually the resinous smell goes away. Oh, and how about fleece?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu May 03, 2018 6:04 pm

VERY eventually. I once left some wood pellets out for three months and they still smelled too strongly of pine to use. Maybe the shavings are different.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Fri May 04, 2018 2:15 am

Fleece should not smell. Maybe your fleece setup has a small flaw. Can you tell us how it was done? It also depends on the size of your cage, as in small cages, it needs daily changes.

madkatherine

Post   » Fri May 04, 2018 2:29 pm

Wow, three month! The power of pine :)

I would put some towels or these absorbing pads for dogs under fleece, or sometimes both. Yes, the main problem for me was that fleece wouldn't last for more than 2 days, and personally for me it was hard to clean it (hay got stuck, etc.). While with wood shavings (aspen, no worries! :)) I can spot clean (their beloved "toilet corners") like once in 2-3 days and for some reason it feels way less messy. One girl recommended me using wood litter pellets+fleece, but I haven't tried it. And to me it seems like it won't be the most comfortable floor for piggies. I haven't tried these sophisticated fleece liners either. Maybe my experience would have been different then.

I know a lot of people prefer fleece, and I am a minority, but that's how it is know, hehe.

kailaeve1271

Post   » Fri May 04, 2018 2:43 pm

I use a cage liner (two sets made by me with uhaul padding and the other set made by piggiebedspreads). I the “favorite” corners I have litter boxes. Litter boxes hold the hay and are filled with Carefresh. I spot clean daily and empty litter boxes every other day. By the end of the week there is still little to no smell and barely any hay spills out the litter boxes so less mess.

When using pee pads or towels I have been told they don’t absorb as much and don’t hold in smell well. that’s why they have to be cleaned so often. I imagine they may still work though if favorite spots were in litter boxes