Niko 2 1/2 yr old sow blood in urine

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:55 am

Sounds like a stone, and she needs to see an exotic vet ASAP. With the odor, she probably also has a URI.

I'd cut out the coriander. In some pigs, it can cause extra urinary calcium, just as romaine does.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:26 am

Seconding bpatters that she needs to see a vet right away.

Poor Niko; she's been through so much (and you with her). Make sure she stays well-hydrated; watch her intake and perhaps syringe her extra water.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:29 pm

Absolute double ditto on the see a vet right away - likely a stone.

I am sorry she is in so much pain.

hbee

Post   » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:55 pm

So update on Niko: We had her on an antibiotic for 14 days 2x a day and she really improved a lot. She was running around and acting like herself and greeting me, eating up her pellets and hay and bubbling around her cage. I have noticed lately that her bum is crusty and so I have continued with the organic pressed coconut oil which helps a little but that is all. I looked into urine scald and I think that may be what is happening. I am about to try to use an antiseptic skin cleanser that is Chlorhexidine Gluconate but it is not 2% - it only came in 4%. Forgive me but can someone help me to do the math of what amount I need to mix with water - I don't want it to hurt her! I am planning on doing this tonight and until I see improvement. I also have some desitin. ANY suggestions are helpful - thank you so much for being her for me all of these years!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:09 pm

Half and half with water.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:42 pm

This page might help too:
www.guinealynx.info/antiseptic_solutions.html

Try another product similar to Desitin (something for babies). Ask a pharmacist what he/she would recommend.

hbee

Post   » Wed May 02, 2018 7:19 pm

Okay here is another update on Niko - she has had at least 3 "neurological" episodes where she was disoriented and seemed dizzy and unable to walk right. I am treating for mites with ivermectin. She is itching so bad that her skin is starting to flake regardless of the amount of coconut oil I am slathering with. She is starting to scratch to the point of bleeding. Any suggestions for skin care besides or including the coconut oil? I know to treat for once a week for several weeks and we are one week in.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed May 02, 2018 7:51 pm

What brand of ivermectin are you using? What is the strength? (either a percent or some number of milligrams or grams per milliliter). How much does the pig weigh? How often are you giving the treatment?

If/when ivermectin fails, it's usually because the dose isn't large/strong enough.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 02, 2018 10:25 pm

Revolution is another possibility. I second bpatters concern that your guinea pig is not getting a strong enough dose.

hbee

Post   » Fri May 04, 2018 11:05 pm

I got a new bottle of ivermectin 5mg per ml - I was just putting 1-2 drops (.1 ml ?) behind each ear and in between her shoulder blades. I also give her a bath before to get all the dead skin off and maybe some of the mites come off too (?) I use gorgeous guinea's shampoo - the gentle kind, and make sure she is dry and warm and has fresh clean fleece bedding in her cage. I did get some nutri-vet bitter bandage to wrap her because her side is getting bloody scabs from all her scratching. After reading about bandaging I am going to get some of the anti-stick gauze to put on over the wound just to make sure it doesn't get stuck to the bandage. She is eating her veggies like a champ, ate all her pellets and is eating hay like normal.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri May 04, 2018 11:16 pm

How often have you been doing the treatments? They should be done every seven days for three or four treatments in order to hit all the life cycle of the mites.

The mites will not come off in a bath. They're microscopic, and they're burrowed into the skin. Most people think that bathing a pig with mites will make them more uncomfortable.

hbee

Post   » Sat May 05, 2018 11:39 am

Today I am washing her fleece bedding and getting her ready for bandaging and her 2nd week of treatment.