Niko 2 1/2 yr old sow blood in urine

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 05, 2018 11:44 am

In a few cases, multiple treatments are done. Personally, I would go for more than the minimum if she is having such issues. You are treating all your guinea pigs for mites at the same time? Other guinea pigs can be carriers.

I sure hope you have success!

hbee

Post   » Sat May 05, 2018 10:58 pm

I did .1 cc and put drops behind each ear and in between her shoulder blades this afternoon. I will continue to do this every Saturday until some I see some improvement or I will take her to my vet.

I saw a product at a local tractor and feed store that says it is safe for Rabbits called MicrocynAH Wound and Skin Care. It is a spray that is good for abrasions, sores and irritation to the skin. Have you heard of this product? I wanted to try it but was afraid of harming my Niko. I just want her skin to feel better and the coconut oil doesn't seem to be helping.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat May 05, 2018 11:46 pm

I wouldn't use it. I'm not a fan of spraying anything on an animal that grooms itself.

without reading all the way back, has she had any steroid treatment to help with the itching?

hbee

Post   » Sun May 06, 2018 9:24 am

She hasn't had any steroid treatments - would this be a topical treatment?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun May 06, 2018 10:37 am

I think steroids are generally administered orally or by injection. I wouldn't spray anything either. There are instructions for making a body bandage if she is self mutilating.
www.guinealynx.info/bandaging.html

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun May 06, 2018 12:02 pm

Yes, could be, or could be an injection. I'm surprised they haven't suggested that already. It's very commonly used for severe itching.

hbee

Post   » Fri May 11, 2018 2:11 pm

Haven't been to the vet yet as I was trying to give the ivermectin a fair chance at working. Could I used an over the counter anti-itch cream or just use the Neosporin under the bandage - I know you are not a replacement for my vet, I am just trying to make her comfortable. I have her 3rd dose tomorrow. I have her covered in coconut oil for now. She has been taking Metacam, tramadol and a glucosamine/flax oil supplement from my last visit to the vet when she had her last neurological episode (seizure?) She is eating very well though laying down quite a bit. She is still bringing her nose up to greet me when I put my hand down in her cage. I'm trying to stay optimistic that I can get this under control.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri May 11, 2018 2:12 pm

You could try an OTC cortisone cream. It's not as strong as one you'd get by prescription, but might work.

hbee

Post   » Sat May 26, 2018 11:06 pm

**UPDATE** Niko got progressively worse and her skin developed really hard crusty chunks of what I believed was a fungus of some kind. She was itching herself raw and looked horrible. Fur was 60% gone and her skin was red and inflamed. When I realized how much weight (she was in the 700's) she was losing we went to the vet and she had a day-long hospital stay (5/18/18) while they tried to find the cause of her skin problem. The vet was at a loss until I mentioned fungus - they had ruled out mites and took a skin culture and discovered budding yeast. We were given an antibiotic (Trimeth Sulfa .5 ml every 12 hours) to ward off infections to her sores and an antifungal ( Itrafungol oral sol. 4 ml. every 24 hours) She is still on her anti-inflammatory (Metacam .1ml.) every morning and pain medication for her bladder sludge (tramadol .15ml) every 12 hours. Since then her fur is falling out but the yeast is coming with it and new fur is coming in she is eating much better and seems more active and happy at lap time. We have one more week on the anti-biotic and the anti-fungal. She is a trooper taking 4 oral medications, still has to be held but no piggy wrangling needed :)

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat May 26, 2018 11:34 pm

Thanks for the update! Best wishes for you and Niko!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun May 27, 2018 12:23 pm

Hoping she responds quickly to the antifungal!

hbee

Post   » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:44 pm

Niko has gone through so much but she really is a trooper. She just had some kind of skin condition, almost like dandruff. Treated for mites with Ivermectin with no relief, then coconut oil, still no relief. Took her to the vet and they gave me some aloe vera juice mixed with distilled water and it made such a difference. Her fur is growing back and most of the flakes have gone away. We now have a new problem. Niko is having very small misshapen poops. She has plenty of hay and pellets once a day, veggies (pepper, celery, green leaf lettuce, cucumber) in the evening with orange for vitamin C. Any ideas of what might be the cause of small poops? Thank you!