Belle's Medical Thread

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:35 am

Fungal infections don't usually have lumps.

Lumps under the chin have a high chance of being cervical lymphadenitis. I'd see a vet ASAP.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:35 am

Lump has cleared up. I guess she's growing into her jawbone finally, heeheehee.

Vet saw her yesterday. Fungus is gone, but I should still continue applying the Miconazole lotion twice a week just to prevent (or at least cut back on the likelihood of) reinfection since she's still housed with Fuzz, who IS actively infected. Daily quilt changes and every third day flipper changes have made all the difference. Of course, there is a virtual mountain of laundry...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:28 pm

That is good news indeed!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat May 12, 2018 9:39 pm

I'm scared spitless. We got home from a couple hours out, and I suddenly heard Belle make those horrible "congestion" noises, similar to the noise Fuzz makes. The nearest emergency vet is at least a couple of hours away in Tacoma with no guarantee they will have anyone on staff who knows guinea pigs. I do have some Baytril left from when Fuzz was taking it, but I have NO idea how much, or even IF, I should dose Belle. She's a little over 4 months old and as of yesterday 834 grams. Bottle say 10mg/ml. Oh, if it makes any difference at all, it's "ABX Baytril Oral")

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 12, 2018 10:17 pm

There is a range for Baytril. You might want to check over calculate_dose.html and antibiotics.html

I wish there were a vet you could consult with to get an "okay" from and a proper dose.

Hugs.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun May 13, 2018 10:40 am

Thanks, Lynx. It must have just been some hay dust because she's fine now. I can't believe how "silly" I was. About half an hour after I posted I remembered our rule of not dosing without a vet's approval. I"m very sorry I broke that rule. I did check the dose calculator but it said to give 3.?? and I knew that couldn't be right. Fuzz was only getting .28 and she's still a couple hundred grams heavier, not to mention 4 years older.

Anyway, Belle seems fine, but I'll keep an eye on her for the next day or two to make sure.

Thanks again!!!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun May 13, 2018 10:54 am

Glad all is well!

What were the numbers you plugged into the calculator?

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon May 14, 2018 9:49 am

834 grams. Bottle say 10mg/ml.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 14, 2018 10:50 pm

And the dosage you were going for? Using 2.5mg/kg, and the 834 gm (0.834 kg) being weight, it would be:
0.209cc

The range goes up to 10 mg/kg so it would be between 0.209 cc and 0.835cc

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue May 15, 2018 11:22 am

Lynx, you are a sweetheart! Thank you!