4 year old female is squeaking when urinating

duskern

Post   » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:21 am

We have been monitoring her quite closly. For the last 7+ days we have not heard a single squeak from her. She is also mostly dry right now. We tried to cut her hairs, but we assessed that it wouldn't really make a difference, as it was quite short. I can supply a picture of the butt area. I'm not too experienced when it comes to that stuff. We add new sawdust to their cage in her regular hang out spots a couple of times a day. It seems to be working but at the moment, it almost feels like it's not necessary.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:08 pm

Glad to hear there does not seem to be a stone. One other way to make sure something is not wrong is to give her butt the sniff test. Odors generally indicate bacterial growth. I had noticed some time ago that my guinea pig when on antibiotics smelled much better. I think some of the antibiotics are peed out and kill the bacteria causing the odor.

duskern

Post   » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:56 am

I did hear a little squeak from her last night, but our youngest pig was acting up due to that time of the month, running around the cage jumping up on the other two, so it might be related to that. I also gave them beetroot the other day, and sometimes that causes them to squeak a bit when they are pooping. I will continue to keep watch. Everything seems fine today.

duskern

Post   » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:42 am

We have actually not heard anything since my last post, and she has not been wet all the times I've checked her. I take this as a good sign :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:55 pm

That does indeed sound good!

duskern

Post   » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:15 pm

Perhaps I was a bit fast there, or maybe I jinxed it :( We did actually hear her squeak not long after posting earlier today.

I was talking to a friend of mine and she believes that stones will always come back. Is this true? I was under the impression that they don't always return, even though there's always a risk.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:32 pm

IMO, they come back more often than not. But I did have a pig that was stone free for over two years after the first ones were removed.

duskern

Post   » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:44 pm

bpatters wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:32 pm IMO, they come back more often than not. But I did have a pig that was stone free for over two years after the first ones were removed.
What did you do when they came back then? I'm thinking about getting an x-ray done to check up on her. I have another girl that has to have a trip to the vet within the next month or so.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:31 pm

She had a really bad UTI when we discovered the stones, and we were trying to get it cleared up before we operated. But she developed a perforated stomach ulcer and died before we could get the stones out.

duskern

Post   » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:53 am

One of my girls have had this weird greenish coloured layer at the bottom of her lower teeth. I'm not sure what it is, or how long she has had it. I'm pretty sure she didn't have it last time I had her to the vet for problems with her teeth.

One of the bottom teeth broke off a little while ago. It broke, and she had an infection of some sort and stopped eating. I found out something was wrong pretty quickly and took her to the vet. They sedated her and removed the tooth that was broken off. Since then she has returned to normal, but the upper tooth, opposite the one that is missing, is of course a bit long at the moment. We are keeping watch, and hoping it will return to normal slowly as the bottom tooth returns.

Below is a couple of images showing what I'm trying to describe. The first on is taken a couple of days ago, the second one a couple of weeks ago. She is still eating and acting normal, and she talks a lot when I have her out for cuddling :)

Edit by Lynx: here are the "permanent" pics (closeups) [thanks!]:

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:06 am

The discoloration is likely due to the infection. If that has been successfully treated, it should grow out. Keep in mind that there may be another loss of the tooth and regrowth as it is establishing itself as a healthy tooth. I imagine you have read www.guinealynx.info/teeth_broken.html ? It has some information that should be helpful to you.

It appears there is only one upper incisor?

Your pictures are very clear. Let me know if you'd like them added permanently to your thread for future readers.

duskern

Post   » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:59 pm

Lynx wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:06 am The discoloration is likely due to the infection. If that has been successfully treated, it should grow out. Keep in mind that there may be another loss of the tooth and regrowth as it is establishing itself as a healthy tooth. I imagine you have read www.guinealynx.info/teeth_broken.html ? It has some information that should be helpful to you.

It appears there is only one upper incisor?

Your pictures are very clear. Let me know if you'd like them added permanently to your thread for future readers.
I had actually not looked at the link you are referring to, but I have read it now. She is still doing fine, but not always wanting to eat her carrots. It's not uncommon for her to not eat them, but I always get suspicious when one of them doesn't want to eat something they are given.

Regarding her incisor, it is there, but probably not visible on the picture. I'm hoping that the length of her teeth will revert back to normal. Right now, her bite is not completely straight as it normally is.

It is totally fine to add the pictures permanently. All my pictures may be used as reference to help others. It just strikes me though, that this subject about teeth might not be fitting under the title of this thread :) Would it be better to make a new thread about this subject?

And now something regarding Abigail.

Today I noticed my girl Abigail not really biting into her cucumber as normal. Normally she more or less attacks it, eating 3cm x 3cm x 3cm in less than 10 minutes. I think it might be a broken tooth. I had her out and looked at her teeth, and they actually looked really nice, even though she had a broken of tooth not that long ago. Then I gently pressed my nail against each of the four front teeth, and the lower right one seemed to be a bit loose. She normally bites a bit hard into my fingers, when she wants to return to their cage, but today she was more gentle with her teeth. This tells me she might be feeling pain when biting. She is still eating the cucumbers and peppers that we give her, but it's more slowly and gentle. Besides that, she also still eats a lot of hay and pellets, and she seems totally fine when I cuddle her.