Pumpkin and Bella’s Medical Thread

Cutepiggies

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:10 am

Hello again guys, haven’t posted in a while because my piggies have been well, up until now anyway. On Tuesday I noticed Pumpkin’s bottom was wet with a cloudy substance. The first time I thought it was because of these new houses I got them that has a plastic layer underneath so I was thinking maybe the urine didn’t soak through. However, I then noticed the same thing happen when she was outside of the her little house. So on the Wednesday I took her to the vet.

She is now on baytril because I was concerned about the strong urine smell she has on top of the wet bottom, so we thought she might have an UTI. The other two antibiotics that we tried in the past for a different problem cut her appetite and made her lethargic so that’s why I opted for baytril. With baytril she’s still eating although I give her critical care just in case. Today when I picked her up to check on her back side I noticed this sticky white discharge coming from her bottom. I have a photo of it but when trying to post photos here it never works.

Could this be a side effect of the medication or does an UTI usually have this kind of discharge? Or perhaps it’s an infection of the uterus? And is this something that might affect Bella?

I have since cut the bottom of the houses.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:02 pm

Send Lynx a private message. She'll give you her address, and you can send the pictures to her to display.

Cutepiggies

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:21 pm

Oh alright will do, thank you.

Update: I tried to send her a private message but it wouldn’t let me

Cutepiggies

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:30 pm

[/pics]

[/pics]

I tried posting them again, let me know if they worked this time.

I am keeping the sample for Monday and see what the vet says about it. The liquid she had before around her bottom was the same color as this sticky substance.

Cutepiggies

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:47 pm

A little update: although her bottom is not wet anymore her poops are now soft and she stopped eating anything but lettuce and sometimes hay so I have to handfeed her. Should I stop the antibiotic? I am thinking of not giving it to her anymore.

She seems to be sensitive to all antibiotics and I am not really sure what to do in case if she does indeed have an UTI. And the vet’s office is not open until Monday.

rjespicer

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:02 pm

Are you giving her Bene-Bac ?
Thanks to bpatters recommendation I found that helped avoid loss of appetite when 2 of ours were on Antibiotics. Are you weighing her daily? Is she losing weight?

Usually it is not advisable to stop antibiotics until the course is complete (usually about 10 days) stopping too soon can give the infection a resistance to antibiotics which could cause problems, but I am sure others can you give you better advice on this than I.

Cutepiggies

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:21 pm

@rjespicer I am not sure what that is, is it an omver the counter medication? I could look at the pharmacy tomorrow otherwise I have to wait until Monday until the vet opens.

Yes I am taking her weight daily. According to the vet’s scale she’s 1020g according to my scale she’s 1105g. She’s been at that weight for the past days give or take a few grams. She just stopped eating as much especially when compared to Bella.

I know it’s not good to stop an antibiotic but at the same time if it gives diharrea it’s not good either. I am just not sure what to do. However, even if I don’t give her the dose tonight I think there’s still going to be antibiotic in her system from the morning.

Thank you for your reply

rjespicer

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:55 pm

Bene-Bac is a probiotic that can help prevent appetite loss. Some vets recommend it, others are non comital and others say there is no evidence it helps but it seems a lot of those on this forum swear by it

It was recommended to us by bpatters when ours were on Bactrim and Vibramycin and they seemed to have no issues with appetite loss.

One of the others here may be able to let you know if it is advisable to use it if she has diarrhea. I was just reading up on soft poops myself and one of the causes listed is too much veggies."If the droppings are merely soft, temporarily withholding vegetables may help."

More info here
https://www.guinealynx.info/normal.html#droppings

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:20 pm

Since your pictures did not appear for me, I looked at your code and figured out where they were. Here are a couple crops.

Is it gritty, rubbery, or viscous?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:35 pm

It may be the mucus plug that sows lose when they come into heat. You usually don't see them, but occasionally you see them on the pig or in the cage.

Is that the only one? Or have you seen more?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:56 pm

I don't know what a mucus plug looks like. We should get Pinta to check out this thread! (I think she knows)

Oh, hey, I found something she wrote:
When sows go into heat there isn't a "plug" that pops out. The entrance to the reproductive tract is sealed until they go into heat and then it slowly dissolves. It looks like normal skin until the dissolving begins and then you realize what you thought was unbroken skin, was actually a sealed opening.
This was on a thread trying to evaluate something similar to your second picture.

This was the thread. Here's a link to the picture:
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 12#p774112

People did not come up with what it was. But it was indeed a typical crazy topic from long ago.

From all the looking up I just did, I am guessing it is not a mucus plug. And another quote from Pinta:
You can check to see if they were in heat. The genital opening to the vagina is sealed with a mucous "plug" when they aren´t in heat. Looks like seamless skin - whe they are in heat the mucous seal dissolves - usually from the centre outward.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:05 am

Sorry, but sometimes there is a "plug" that comes out. It may not be the usual state of affairs, and I'd guess that's the case because they're seldom seen. But I had a sow that produced several, just as she was coming into heat.