Miyu - Won't receive syringe feeding, is he in too much pain?

Rudy R

Post   » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:37 am

Hello, I'm back. The vet has given us the green light to go ahead with the surgery. It may not happen until next week but I'm trying to prepare Miyu for it. While he's still eating and drinking water on his own, he ended up weighing approximately 850 grams today (against the 900 from his last visit two weeks ago). Maybe I'll have to go back to syringe feeding just in case.

As expressed previously, I'm concerned about any potential complications that may arise due to Miyu's age and weight, but I'm hopeful that the surgery will be able to help him survive for another year. Thank you for all the advice. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:11 am

There is a good chance you will have to continue the syringe feeding AFTER the surgery, too. Maybe not for long, but just until he gets his appetite back and is eating enough to maintain his weight. I'm not sure if you can expect him to gain back what he's lost, but you need to try to maintain his current weight. It's very difficult for pigs to GAIN weight, unless we're talking about young pigs. Older ones don't seem to gain back the lost weight.

Good luck to you both. Keep us informed, we do care.

Erinspigs

Post   » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:04 am

If it were my pig and bpatters made that observation I would be searching for a more qualified vet. It' s not a knock against your vet or that they haven't treated any pigs before. I don't think it's terribly complicated surgery for a vet who has done many of the same surgeries but for one learning about GPs, it might be a risk a risk you probably needn't take.

Good luck any news on the little guy?