Jan's Toothy Smile medical thread

rjespicer

Post   » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:24 pm

Just picking up on your comment about grass, do any supermarkets near you sell wheat grass? Our 3 love it when we can get it and it shoudl be safe for them.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:19 am

Just picking up on your comment about grass, do any supermarkets near you sell wheat grass? Our 3 love it when we can get it and it shoudl be safe for them.

Wheat grass is sold in bales here and the price is pretty hefty. But if safe for piggies will look into it.

Sadly Joy took a turn for the worse and has stopped eating all together. She lost 100grams in 3 days. We are hand feeding her but she really hates it! Took her to the vet again today and as usual vet is guessing. She believes Joy like her sister Jan has a GI stasis problem. So like Jan she is on Metamide twice a day a tenth of a tablet and on Zantac syrup twice a day at 0.2 Mls. Have to monitor weight and amount she is pooping and eating. Will keep you posted and thanks for the replies GrannyJu1 and rjespicer . Hoping I have better news next time.

Is it common for two sisters to have the same problem? Their diet is green leaf veggies and sometimes red(depending on the lettuce we get), Oxbow pellets and Timothy hay and Meadow hay. On occasions she has nibbled at the Timothy hay. I have NEVER used wheatgrass would this upset them or should I add slowly? Any advise greatly appreciated. Back at library Friday. I am a nervous wreck with 2 sick piggies!

Is Wheatgrass the same as Catgrass? We are currently growing Wheatgrass and normal grass for the girls but it is slow growing. Catgrass is only about 3 inches tall and normal grass is a lot smaller.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:43 am

She was referring to fresh wheat grass. Around here, wheat "juice" is a "thing" and supposedly healthy for humans. Guinea pigs like the fresh grass.

You could grow your own by sprouting wheat and planting it in trays so you have a tray of fresh sweet grass. Rather intensive, considering guinea pigs would plow through it in a tricet.

rjespicer

Post   » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:32 pm

Yes Wheat Grass is also called Cat Grass. It is usually sold in plastic trays and looks just like 3 inch tall grass, as you describe.
We usually clear our local supermarket out of it when they have it in.

Oh and if you were referring to me Lynx I am a he ;-)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:54 pm

Yes. I knew that. I fear I will forget it again! Have I said I'm old? I will say that again too!

rjespicer

Post   » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:16 pm

Like I said, no problem, its the long hair it confuses people, has done ever since I was a kid. Ive passed my half century now so will be using that excuse too. ;)

Back on topic Daisy May did you have any luck with the Wheat Grass/Kitty Grass?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:12 am

I am still growing it. Got to 3 inches fast and now it is at a stand still. It says you can grow inside which we are but may have to put it outside to get better results!

On good note Joy is eating a little bit and weight is steady for now. Will keep you posted! Thanks for the replies Lynx and rjespicer!

rjespicer

Post   » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:27 pm

If it is taking a while to grow are there any supermarkets or pet stores near you where you could get some in the short term? I just picked up 8 trays of it for our girls today :-)

I am glad to hear she is eating and her weight has stabilized

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:19 am

I'm very glad she's eating and maintaining her weight. I know you've had a terrible time of it lately. Hugs from Fuzz, Dusty, Belle, and myself and husband.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:29 am

Thanks for the replies rjespicer and GrannyJu1. Update on Joy, she is eating about 50-80% of her food. being syringe fed every 4 hours and hating every syringe. She is on Metomide twice a day-a tenth of a tablet, and Zantac Syrup 0.2 mls twice a day. Like her sister Jan who)Jan) is also on Meloxicam 0.6mls to help with pain.

She is no longer active(never was) she just lays under the hay looking miserable. Her weight is going up and down from the low 800grams to 750grams. Back in January she was over 1000grams.

After she has eaten or syringe fed her tummy goes quite hard. Noticed when she urinates it is not a steady stream but comes in bits and pieces until she lets it rip in one steady motion.(Jan and our late Jessie use too or does when urinating shakes her hind paws and looks very cute! But we have to be careful when looking in the flannel between her legs when urinating as she has good aim!).

Took Joy to the vet last week and as usual vet could find nothing wrong. She did how ever feel she described it as a small coil near her tummy. As Jinx was there for a weighing she compared Jinx in same area and hers was large. So over $100.00 a total of $300.00AUD we are no better off. She did suggest X-rays but at an earlier visit she said would show nothing or bloods. We declined the blood test as remember when poor Zoe got blood removed from throat area whilst still conscious and how we nearly lost Jasmine. She was sedated.

So any advise much appreciated. Will be back at library tomorrow and maybe Friday. She is NOT on any pain meds as this stopped her eating. After every feed she gets tummy massages by hand and toothbrush. Thanks any replies in advance.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:30 am

I would have suggested xrays too, to check for stones or other abnormalities.

I am sorry you are both dealing with this.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:25 am

I have no advice but I do have lots of hugs and warm wishes for everyone. Not much help, I know.