Suggestions and Help

Lulu Jane

Post   » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:38 pm

Thank you! Those look like great hideys, I'll be sure to get a few.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:03 am

Oxbow has tunnels made from Timothy hay. There are no colors, chemicals, wires or hardware of any kind. They are hand woven and can be chewed safely. I’ve had one for several months since Lacey is not much of a chewer. I put her hay inside and she walks through it but never really sleeps in it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:14 am

You would mainly have to worry about it getting wet from pee (you can keep track by smelling it - if it starts smelling musty or bad, remove it).

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:21 am

The Oxbow tunnels have instructions for cleaning - rinse with cool water and air-dry preferably in the sun. I put a cushioned mat in the one I have. The mat is a layer of terry towel, batting, and topped with fleece or heavy cotton fabric. This absorbs moisture. The woven fabric is best when putting hay in the tunnel since the hay doesn’t get stuck to the fabric like it does with fleece.

Lulu Jane

Post   » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:33 pm

I know you can't use regular hampster wheels, but what about the "Flying Saucer" wheel?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:15 am

No.

Lulu Jane

Post   » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:52 am

Explanation?

WICharlie

Post   » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:39 am

Guinea pigs do not have the flexible spines that hamsters, mice, rats and gerbils do and they can get severely injured in wheels or balls. They also can get overheated in a wheel or ball. They are not in the same category as other "small" pets. You need to realize that a female guinea pig can get up to 3 pounds and a male can reach 4. They do need lots and lots of space to run around, so the cage needs to be a similar size of a twin bed. Those tiny cages that are sold in pet stores for them are WAY too small for even one guinea pig. It would be like making you live in your closet. Which is why we strongly encourage people to build C&C cages for them like at this site: www.guineapigcages.com

Please do your research before you get pigs so you know what to expect.

Lulu Jane

Post   » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:54 pm

I am aware that guinea pigs are not like mice or rats, that is why I chose to adopt guinea pigs instead of buying a few mice from a pet store. I would never put a guinea pig, or any other animal, in a ball. In fact, I am planning on using a hampster ball as a mental stimulation treat toy for my future guinea pigs. I know regular wheels are very dangerous to guinea pigs, that is why I asked about "flying saucer" wheels which are the flat ones. I am aware of how big they get and that they need a lot of space. If you didn't read my first post, I mentioned that I was making a 50 sq ft enclosure for them, but they will be mostly free range. I make all the enclosers for my pets, my dwarf hampster has an entire 15 sq ft of floor space to herself, I don't believe in keeping animals in tiny spaces. I have done months of research, and I have love guinea pigs for all my life, but I knew I needed to wait until I can responsibly take care of them, mentally and financially. But never the less, this forum was created so that people can learn about cavies, so I am researching right now by asking questions on this forum. Thanks for bringing that to my attention though.

WICharlie

Post   » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:21 am

It was not my intention to sound snarky, only informative. When I see a question about "wheels," it makes me think that the one asking the question is just starting out in their research about guinea pig care. Its impossible to determine how much a person already knows in a post.

I was not familiar with the flying saucer type wheel that you mentioned so I googled it. I guess I can't envision a guinea pig using it in the way it was meant to be used. They might hide under it. If they did jump up on it and find out that it moved, I think they would jump down and never get up on it again, as they like to stand on something sturdy. Also I thought you mentioned about staying away from plastics.

It's my experience that most guinea pigs don't really play with toys all that much. The best thing seems to be to provide them with another guinea pig and room to dart around and do "zoomies." Sounds like they would have plenty of space in the area you are envisioning for them. If you have cats, though, you may need to have an enclosed cage with a lid to keep them safe.

Lulu Jane

Post   » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:12 pm

Thank you for reminding me. Sorry if I sounded rude. My brother is studying to be a stealsmith, I was hoping he could make nice Lazy Suzan like thing (out of aluminum) with some small rounded ridges for traction, that would work as a flat wheel. I'm not sure, I just wanted to know if anyone has found that it works. I think I'm going to put a wire top so the cats can't get in direct contact with the piggies. Any other ideas?

Lulu Jane

Post   » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:08 pm

Are hammock hideys ok for them? It seems like it might bend their back in a weird way.