The crazy life of a surprise family member

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:36 pm

You know, we need pictures!

Find a host like imgur.com and post them here!

Ginasgrandmom

Post   » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:31 pm

http://imgur.com/gallery/eoXSSb0

I hope the pics from there show up. I am doing this from my phone and am not used to the setup of it beyond basic typing.

But, Ryzen is also getting playdates with a friend of the youngest's new girl pig. This is to help the other girl learn to be a guinea herself. I am hoping it will get both girls to enjoy more veggies. My daughter is taking hay to her every day now too. Both she and the other friend of theirs keeps letting her know what she needs to do with her. I am being kept up to date on this because she is worried about her. Maybe seeing Ryzen do her hay popcorn will be good.

Ryzen can care less about pellets or veggies (I'm going to get peppers in her if it kills me.... and Molly), but grab hay and she's running to the corner and starts popcorning and wheeking. She then pulls it all down and playing with it. On the veggie front, I found the same trick I had to get Gina to try a veggie worked with her. She has to see me eating it. Yes, I have to eat it. Close to the mouth doesn't work.

As a side note, Molly is improving since Ryzen came. They will lay together and nap. Molly had started not using her litter box and didn't care to mouse after Gina as much. Within the first week, Molly is back to her litter box and offered Ryzen the first mouse she caught. And she keeps nudging peppers at Ryzen!

Tomorrow morning will be interesting. I told my friend that I get the back seat because Ryzen loves the front seat. My friend is setting up a light rock and jazz playlist for us to play. We both have black outfits to wear for her. My only worry will be if she doesn't get a clean bill. This is only because I just worry in general.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:15 pm

Thanks for the pictures! Your guinea pig is very cute.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:37 am

Sounds like she is full of personality and a piggy who knows what she wants and isn't afraid to let you know! She also sounds a happy pig! I can picture her running around the carrier and making you take the back seat! A real darling and so glad she is helping your younger piggy. Keep us posted on this wonderful girl!

She is a lovely piggy! I love black piggies! She reminds me of a piggy we had called Petal! She was full of personality too! A very pretty piggy!

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:13 am

She's so itty bitty! Such a cutie.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:08 am

I can't believe how well you managed to get good shots of her. My black and white is very stubborn about it. Her front is black, so all I can get are her bright little eyes.

Ryzen is a cutie and has quite the personality.

I'm glad to hear Molly is improving, as well. Nothing like a big happy family!!

Ginasgrandmom

Post   » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:04 pm

Awww, yeah we think she is cute. And she definitely has personality. GrannyJu, I've taken those shots with my phone and lots of light. I deleted any shots that I couldn't tell that she was in the picture. I've lost count how many times I hit delete before I get a picture I'm willing to accept. I need to talk the boy into taking pictures with his hand me down fancy camera.

So, Ryzen did well at her first vet visit. She wasn't scared when the dogs came to her carrier and sniffed it. We were more worried about her getting wet since it decided to rain that day. All she wanted to do was explore. They had a hard time weighing her at first because of it; she wouldn't stay still. And she was NOT getting in the bowl. They ended up having to let her just stand on the scale and wait. I guess I taught her a bad habit already with getting weighed? But she got the all clear from him and call if anything happens that needs seen. This was a good thing to hear since her partner in crime got sick while they were apart and passed away. We had them separated because of room and trying to build a new cage. So, we have someone possibly picked out, it is more a case of getting there to get her. Everyone has crazy work and school schedules and the nearest is a two hour drive. But, her "big scary boy" will already do anything for her. She has done well with her playdates with my youngest's friend's guinea pig.

We have the new cage together and she has decided that she is now practicing for the next Guinea Pig Olympics. The second day we showed her how to up and down the ramp and put her TARDIS in the corner upstairs. Well, now she runs up and down the ramp and does laps around her cage a half hour at a time every day. And don't try to pick her up during training sessions, screaming will happen. She has been on her natural carefresh bedding for now, but we just received fleece bedding today.

She only likes fresh picked parsley and basil. Grocery store versions get a firm turn up and toss away. We still can't get peppers in her. Does anyone think that the pellets would have enough or should I break down and buy gloves to hand her strawberries and kiwi for C? I worry I am overreacting, but maybe the added girl will help. That is, if the other one will eat it either.

Last, I swear that Molly knows when my phone is dying and needs charged. She decided this morning that Ryzen needed a bath and proceeded to try to groom her while Ryzen started wheeking at her. Molly ended up slumping away when Ryzen turned towards her and went towards her. And Ryzen is still getting her offerings of dead mice when they come in the house. I need to get a picture of the two of them together sometimes, but Molly is camera shy.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:22 am

That is lovely she likes her new home! truly sorry for your lost! RIP little one, run free and Popcorn in paradise. Watch over your piggy slave and wheek in happiness watching your friend acting silly and funny!

Would not worry about giving her fruit all the time as not good for them. Try veggies with vitamin C or you can get vitamin C supplements. Fruits are only a sometime food. Veggies are the main diet and pellets a maybe thing in their diet. Hoping this link will help you! https://www.guinealynx.info/diet_vegs.html

Can't wait to hear more about this crazy funny piglet and hoping you find a friend for her soon. I know in the USA guinea pig people do a car run. Like if you tell them where piggy is someone will pick her up, then drive somewhere on the way to someones place then they will take piggy a bit further, drop her off and drive a bit further until piggy is with you. You may wish to consider this option as a few people have done it this way! Good luck and post again soon! Loving the story of a funny piglet who has you well trained!

Cat sounds silly too. My Husbands Aunt(since passed) would catch mice but wouldn't kill them he would bring in mouse inside the house then let them go. House had loads of mice running around. So we set mouse traps and I swear one trap was going off every 5 seconds.Many mice lost their lives that night.(sorry to any mice lovers out their). (she was eldery and didn't want mice in her home and there was NO way we could catch any of them!)

Ginasgrandmom

Post   » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:23 pm

http://imgur.com/gallery/8TIq4eU

Just a quick pop in to show the two new girls who will be teaching Ryzen to eat a pepper as soon as they are out of quarantine. We, big scary boy and I, couldn't let the one girl be left behind. So, welcome Liberty Vega and Invidia Fairy. We are on our way home with them now.

I was so scared, because I am a worrywart anyway since Gina, the humane society would say no. But, no problems minus my allergies flaring up. So, calling first thing Monday morning to schedule their vet visit per contract.

Everyone kept texting me as we were waiting wanting to know if we got one or not and when I said we got both, the family was so glad. They were worried that the girls may have bonded already and they just hoped I'd say to get both so there wouldn't be a heartbroken girl. I think we've dealt with enough heartbroken pets. Chuckles.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:37 am

They are so cute! Like little bumble bees! So glad you got both! Can't wait for stories about them!

Ginasgrandmom

Post   » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:11 am

So, we have two girls sitting in a quarantine cage currently. They are so content with each other and are quickly getting used to us. They are learning a job I may assign them permanently. Wake the eldest up so I can be picked up from work! Here's the story on us getting these young ladies.

A few weeks ago, I started looking on petfinder for guinea pigs just to browse. After we found out about losing her partner in crime (still seems right to call her that since nobody ever named her), I went on and looked a little harder. At first, all I found were out of state and boys who were listed as intact. Definitely not what we were wanting though I did play mentally about getting a boy for the eldest and getting him neutered. But, finally I saw their pictures listed and they were in state. I was immediately drawn to one of the girls and kept looking up the info on her and if she got adopted yet.

So, Friday I tell the girls the oldest and my plan to get one of the girls. I showed the page to them on petfinder and it decided to refresh and show some near town that came in. The fair returns were starting. I recognized one of the girls' pictures. The girls wanted me to go there and get her instead of the long trip we had planned. Well, the place was closed for the night. I told them if she was still available after the oldest got off work, we would go and get her.

Saturday morning comes and as soon as he gets home, I check the page. At the nearby one, all but one boy guinea pig were adopted. Honestly, I felt relief. So, he and I started down to the two hour (because we decided to start the wrong way and further north to get to the highway) to go get the girl. I mention my real concern was that she was with another girl and that I would hate to split them up. He immediately said we couldn't and we should get both girls.

So we got there and the two girls were in a small cage in the lobby. The two boys they had out were in another small cage next to them. We were told at first that they only did adoptions of two guinea pigs at a time and we mentioned that we already had one at home and were getting a partner. But, we also mentioned that we wouldn't have a problem still getting both because they were in the same cage together. I filled out the application then and we were to wait a bit longer. I had to go outside because my allergies started flaring up. They flare at any type of shelter because too many cats and dogs. Finally, we paid and they were ours. I had to chase them a bit to get each out to the carrier, but we did have to do a bit of a lap time even before they were going to take the picture of us with the girls. We just talked to them and stroked them as they stared at us.

as soon as they got in the carrier into the car, I gave them a mini pepper each and was so excited to see them get excited and try to popcorn in the carrier at getting it. The whole ride home, I kept checking and adding hay and making sure they were comfy. Each girl took seperate sides of the carrier but a hard bounce would send them running around until they resettled.

Once we got in, my older girl started yelling when I was going to pick thrm up to take them out. She wanted them to not do anything they didn't want to and then made a small tent with a sweatshirt for them to walk to if they wanted. Liberty was content to hang out in the carrier but Vidi wanted to explore. Liberty was not happy about that and kept running to block her to stay in. Finally, they both went out as I finished the last things needed for their quarantine. I put out another plate of hay and leafy veggies/herbs. Their eyes went so large at the plate almost like is that all for us? They gobbled it up and we put them to bed.

Each morning after I get home from work, I get them their morning pellets and reup their hay. Yesterday was the first time that Liberty came to the cage door and asked for head scratches. Normally it is Invidia. Now Invidia even expects nose kisses when I get home.

Ryzen and Molly both know the girls are here. But Ryzen has been told she has to wait to meet them. She is mad that she can't be in the oldest's room. She has been trying to climb the steps to his room but we keep taking her off of them. Molly is crying because she can't see her new babies. And I think knowing they are there has made Ryzen more adventurous about foods. She finally ate some pepper.

The girls see the vet on the girls' high school homecoming game. So, this means that there will be lots of driving and so many hours awake. The quarantine time also should be up by then so an all clear from the vet will bring about introductions. Since both girls seem laid back so far, I'm really hoping that it will go easy.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:20 pm

Congratulations on the new arrivals! I can't wait to hear more about their adventures. Yours as well. ;o)